DavidP2020

Well Known Member
We are building an RV-10. One option for a home is a 2,000 x 35 ft asphalt runway. Airfield appx. 800 ft MSL. Is this reasonable and safe for an RV-10 for an experienced pilot? I'm not sure about obstacles at the end of the runway yet; checking on that.

Thanks!

We are building an RV-10. One option for a home is a 2,000 x 35 ft asphalt runway. Airfield appx. 800 ft MSL. Is this reasonable and safe for an RV-10 for an experienced pilot? I'm not sure about obstacles at the end of the runway yet; checking on that.

Thanks!
Mine is based at an airport with 2800' and 60' wide. No issues. Might not be super comfortable but the airplane is capable. It really comes down to the person in the box, though.

The RV-10 is an easy airplane to land relatively short. At 2400 lbs I can make the first turnoff (1,000') without making heroic short field efforts. Takeoff is about the same.

The runway needs increase with weight, but 2,000' should be adequate as long as the runway has good approaches and it isn't a high DA situation with the airplane near gross.

It’s a capable airplane. Here’s a video from a 2,000’ grass strip taking off at 2,500 pounds. I’d suggest you would prefer better brakes. The stock setup is a bit lacking.

Mine is based on a 2000’ grass strip. in the summer it’s fine. I have to be careful in the winter when it’s wet.
The big thing is to be disciplined, if not at the correct speed and height crossing the threshold - Go Around. Yesterday with full tanks 2 up we turned off at the hanger which is about 1300’ without even touching the brakes.
Takeoff I’ve never used more than 1/2. Even 4 up.
so 2000’ asphalt should work well.

regards Peter