Mark Jackson

Patron
First, I have already installed black Van's corrugated conduit in the wing. I have added the Duckworth landing lights out near the wing tips.

Is is possible to cut a hole in the conduit to run the landing light wire? I would imagine some sort of grommet is needed to prevent the conduit from chafing the wires, but I can't see how one would fit well or securely.

My other thought would be to just chop out a section of the conduit and install two grommets on the exposed ends and put the wire in there.

Last edited:
Haven't done this yet but will soon. I've read others recommend the use of a soldering iron to melt a hole in the conduit. Seems like a good way to open a smooth edged hole.

I just heated a Phillips screwdriver with a lighter and it poked right through. Then cleaned up the rough edges with a razor blade.

Lynn

I just ran the wires out the end of the conduit and looped them around for the lights. I think if you put a hole in the conduit it will make it harder to add wires later. Others have added holes but I kept mine without any mid-point exits.

Solder iron

Haven't done this yet but will soon. I've read others recommend the use of a soldering iron to melt a hole in the conduit. Seems like a good way to open a smooth edged hole.

That's how I drilled the holes.

I wrapped a layer of duct tape around the conduit then cut a hole with an xacto knife. Put a rubber grommet in it with a dab of glue and it seems to hold just fine. Also doesn't prevent running wires in the future.

I just ran the wires out the end of the conduit and looped them around for the lights. I think if you put a hole in the conduit it will make it harder to add wires later. Others have added holes but I kept mine without any mid-point exits.

This is how I did it as well. Didn't see the need to put a hole in since you only need to double the wire back a few inches to connect to the landing light. I did put a hole in the conduit for my wing mounted OAT. For that I just used an xacto blade but the hot screwdriver method sounds like a cleaner way to do it.

Ditto with the soldering iron. and the conduit is relatively soft plastic, so I'm not worried about it chafing the wires, so no grommet here.