APACHE 56

Well Known Member
I have 5 open holes on either side of my fuselage (RV8 QB) that I cannot account for. On the left side they are located linearly, fore and aft, above the hole for the 8A step (which is included in the plain 8 QB.....free of charge). The other 5 holes are located in the same position on the other side of the fuse. The hole size is #30. I plan to rivet 'em closed but I don't know what they are for and they are not shown on the plans. Can anyone help?
BTW I do have a query in to Van's but you folks are way faster.
thx,
Don

Last edited:
Mirror locating

That row of rivet connects to the top of the step and goes to the longeron inside. I thing the holes are on the right side as well to allow step installation on that side. This is at least my educated guess.

They aren't for the step--I couldn't figure it out either. I filled them with rivets. I think it is posted on here somewhere what they were, but I can't remember.

These aren't the holes that cover the the alum angle strip/wrap around fairing that seals the top of the flap in the up position are they?

These aren't the holes that cover the the alum angle strip/wrap around fairing that seals the top of the flap in the up position are they?

No I don't think so. They appear unique to something other than the flap fairing. I haven't gotten an answer from Vans yet but will publish it when it arrives.
Don

It the step!

Here is a picture so you will see what I mentioned in the post above. In the RV-8A those top holes are where the step attahes. The stinger behind the skin has a wide spot so that the top gets support from this stringer. Those top 5 holes are also predrilled on the right side of my QB kit, it give the builder the option to mount a step there. I plan to fill these holes with rivets.

I hope this solves the mystery. The fuselage is turned up on the rotisserie in this photo.

1fzkld.jpg