tsorce

:rolleyes:I was wondering if anyone had any experience with flying an RV-6 with the slider style canopy removed? I did see the design of an open cockpit on a RV-3

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but I do know a bit of Thorp T-18 history (a plane with similar performance).

The T-18 was originally designed to be an open cockpit sport plane. The 1st one flew a couple of times that way & the builder immediately added a canopy. I don't think anyone's flown without one since. The problem is that speeds are so high that the wind just beats you up constantly. Perhaps the side-by-side seating makes it more difficult to control airflow around the cockpit vs a single seat or tandem arrangement.

Charlie

Thanks? Charlie every bit of information is helpful. I would imagine you want to stay under 120 Knots.

hybrid

I've always thought that one could use the windshield from the slider and the rear structure from the tipper canopy, leaving an open cockpit above the seating area - Ercoupe style - while preserving some aerodynamics around the cockpit.

This would prevent your from having a removable canopy, unless you took the step to build some sort of opening canopy for the middle part - again, the Ercoupe uses sliding side windows that bend up to an overhead structure. I've seen Swifts with a similar set-up.