tomcostanza

Well Known Member
I've flown a Grumman Tiger for several years. You can fly it with the canopy open a few inches. Has anyone tried this with an RV slider ? (anyone still alive who will admit it)

Van says don't do it

Van says don't do it and that is good enough for me. There is so much force holding it closed during operations that it is very difficult to get it open after landing until you have slowed way down If one were to attempt such a thing you would probably have to open it and block it before takoff.

Bob Axsom

Jettison Canopy

Bob Axsom said:
Van says don't do it and that is good enough for me. There is so much force holding it closed during operations that it is very difficult to get it open after landing until you have slowed way down If one were to attempt such a thing you would probably have to open it and block it before takoff. Bob Axsom
Bob that is what I heard, let me ask you this...

If you can't open on the ground until slowed, how do you open to bail out?

I am not flying my slider -7 yet. The RV-4 was a different deal and the canopy would indeed depart if opened in flight. It was accidentally demonstrated by one unfortunate pilot accidental, who landed with out further trouble or canopy.

What do you think. Removable pins on the front roller? I do aerobatics and like wearing a chute. Seems counter productive to have a chute and no way to open the canopy.

Opening the canopy

gmcjetpilot said:

That's why God gave you adrenaline!

The two popular methods I've seen are pip pins holding on the rollers (that's my plan) and a slot cut about an inch or two back from the fully closed position, such that the rollers will have enough room to go up.

That sounds like the best way to deal with it.

gmcjetpilot said:
Bob that is what I heard, let me ask you this...

I am not flying my slider -7 yet. The RV-4 was a different deal and the canopy would indeed depart if opened in flight. It was accidentally demonstrated by one unfortunate pilot accidental, who landed with out further trouble or canopy.

What do you think. Removable pins on the front roller? I do aerobatics and like wearing a chute. Seems counter productive to have a chute and no way to open the canopy.

I would do that I believe. Of course some fastener to prevent accidental deployment is in your plan so no need for me to mention it.

Bob Axsom