I did some forum searching regarding routing my battery cable, and keep seeing references to dwg 25 and 31 which I have, and also to something called OP11. Where do I find this? I'm trying to come up with the best way to route the aft battery cable to the firewall.

And while I have your attention, where is an ideal place to bring the cable through the firewall? Where is the starter relay mounted for lycoming/clone engines (probably with a sky tec starter)? Is the right side of the firewall better? I'm new to the 4 cylinder lycoming world, and have yet to purchase an engine.

Thanks

firewall forward drawing

Hi,
I have the firewall forward package from Vans, there were OP drawngs there. Other OP drawings I have come from Vans suggested electrical layout drawing package. You can probable order each set $15 or so

What are you building? I'm building a 7 but there are details re the 8 & 9 too.
in my OP collection I have 10,12,26,27,28,29,30,31,3233,34,35.
I do not have an 11, but OP10

scanned the OP10 iso of the aft battery mounting and cable runs, send me an email and I'll sent it to you.
Best option though call vans and order the drawings.

http://home.comcast.net/~davcor/RV8.jpg

I wanted to get D-Size scans (24x36) of all of these but Kinko's wants $5 sq ft... ouch

lemme know

Dave
getting ready to hoist the engine...

Last edited:
I followed the manual with the routing of the wire from rear to the left side of the firewall (looking forward). The starter will be on the left side of the engine (also looking forward). Depending on what starter you use, the relay/solenoid may be on the firewall or the starter itself.

Check out "the X-Drive" and you can read more here.. Yes, SkyTec is a nice starter. Some like it because it spins the engine so nicely, but there are those that think it spins the engine too fast. So fast the impulse coupler doesn't engage or disengages. I agree. May not be an issue with electronic ignition.

Thanks for posting the scanned plans, that's better than DWG25 and 31. I ordered a battery and aft installation kit from the catalog last night, so I'm waiting on it. Hopefully it will have the elusive OP drawings I seek. I was just trying to get the routing holes drilled today before it gets here.

If the OP drawings aren't included in the battery install kit, then I'll give Vans a call and order the rest of them.

I'm building a quick-build 8 by the way. Recently finished the canopy, so I am trying to get everything to the firewall I can (fuel lines/electrical) before riveting the top skin and attempting the windscreen. Is the windscreen easier or tougher than the canopy :confused:? It took a lot of work to get the skirt just right around the bubble.

Thanks again

Battery Wire

If you have not made a drawing of your electrical system i suggest doing so you may not want to take the battery cable to the firewall. I stopped at the battery hot buss then to the starter relay. The wind screen is no bigger deal than the canopy. Just finished mine:D

Good suggestion. I still haven't drilled any holes. I had planned to put the main bus near the rh console, so perhaps running down the right side of fuselage would make things easier if I decide to go to the bus first.

Van's sent it to me

I had the same question. I'm on the floor on my -8 and I wanted to drill holes before I installed the floors. I put the question to Van's and they sent me a PDF file of that drawing (no cost). Very nice of them. It has all the information on it. Rear mounted battery, and front mounted battery. I can now drill a bunch of holes before I put the floors in. Hope this helps.

I had the same question. I'm on the floor on my -8 and I wanted to drill holes before I installed the floors. I put the question to Van's and they sent me a PDF file of that drawing (no cost). Very nice of them. It has all the information on it. Rear mounted battery, and front mounted battery. I can now drill a bunch of holes before I put the floors in. Hope this helps.

Any chance you still have the .pdf file and could send it to me? [email protected]. Thanks.

PDF Drawing

LyleM and Mike.

If you send me the PDF drawing I will publish it on my website with a link on this thread for all future readers to be able to access.

Regards

Bob
www.rv-8.co.uk

Drawing OP 11

I did some forum searching regarding routing my battery cable, and keep seeing references to dwg 25 and 31 which I have, and also to something called OP11. Where do I find this? I'm trying to come up with the best way to route the aft battery cable to the firewall.

And while I have your attention, where is an ideal place to bring the cable through the firewall? Where is the starter relay mounted for Lycoming/clone engines (probably with a Sky Tec starter)? Is the right side of the firewall better? I'm new to the 4 cylinder Lycoming world, and have yet to purchase an engine.

Thanks

OP means optional, it doesn't come with the base RV kit. The various OP drawings usually are included with the various optional parts (ie rear rudder pedals, electrical) kits. You can call Vans and purchase any drawing (including the optional ones) from them. I think I paid about $3 each, a few years ago for mine.
Charlie Kuss