dromuald

Does anyone have experience with installed avionics access panels? Specificaly how did you seal them and are they prone to leaking when expose to precipictaion either airborne or on the ground.

Any techniques on how to seal them?

Thanks

Yes it will leak slightly inflight and even more on the ground if not covered. I still haven't sealed mine but many people are doing the good ole' small bead of RTV followed by plastic wrap trick. Before cure screw the panel on but not 100% of the way. After cure tighten all the way. Still on my list of to do things. haha

I added access panels years ago...before Van's provided any kit options for them. I sealed them using the pro-seal goo. I applied clear packing tape on the covers to prevent the pro seal from bonding to them. I applied grease to the screw threads that attach the plates to the doubler rings, and applied the pro seal to the doubler plate. Next, put the access panel in place, screw it down, and wait for the pro seal to setup. When cured, the screws can be removed and the cover removed. what you are left with is a water tight gasket firmly adhered to the doubler plate.