rwshooter

Well Known Member
I drilled # 30 holes in the tank access cover stiffner ring which called for #40. what are the rivets called or what is the size of the rivets that can fix this?....#3/32 426 head with an 1/8" shaft? and where can I get them? Cant believe I did this right after a perfect tech council visit:eek:
Thanks

Robb 7A....second wing alomost done

Oops rivets

They are NAS1097AD4 You can get them from Vans or Spruce. I got a kit that had several sizes but do not remeber where I got it. maybe Avery or Cleveland Tools

forgot something

Forgot to mention that these holes include k1000-8 platenuts.....dont think I can drill and dimple the platenut to match the bigger hole and be OK....is there a fix for that?

Robb 7A

I have done the same thing and installed large rivets. The platenut holes can be drilled larger and a larger rivet works. It looks different but I don't think there is any less holding power from the screw. You can also countersink if you don't want to tackle the dimpling.

Huh?

As a former aircraft production worker and 2 time RV builder, I have installed nutplates in dozens more places than the plans call out. I am at a loss here guys. For what possible reason would one ever have to dimple a nutplate? Please explain. :confused:

Duh!

Thanks for the help.........just did a couple fixes.....business as usual except a bigger rivet and counter sinking the rib instead of dimpling......I just installed a new rule in my head.....when I start at 3am, and that is often, it's 2 cups of coffee before engaging brain:eek:

Robb 7A

I havnt had to cs or dimple any nutplates either. Always been able to cs even the thin matls for the NAS oops rivet I've used on allmy nutplates. Btw rob I have some if you need them.

As a former aircraft production worker and 2 time RV builder, I have installed nutplates in dozens more places than the plans call out. I am at a loss here guys. For what possible reason would one ever have to dimple a nutplate? Please explain. :confused:

Access plates in .025 material, holding the nutplate for the access cover. Being .025 material, I dimpled the sheet and the nutplate rather than trying to CS the sheet.

Access plates in .025 material, holding the nutplate for the access cover. Being .025 material, I dimpled the sheet and the nutplate rather than trying to CS the sheet.
Okay, now I see the logic. Still, dimpling .025 material and then modifying a nutplate with dimples will work, but it is much quicker and easier to machine countersink nutplate holes and use NAS1097AD3 rivets to attach them. In the production environment this rivet is routinely used for nutplate attachment.....in thick or thin material. Especially useful in .025, that is how NAS1097AD3 rivets are commonly used. It was not designed for one highly specialized (albeit useful) purpose as an "oops" rivet as Van's sums up in its single soundbite describing this reduced head fastener. The NAS1097 rivet is much more useful than merely being used to fill oversize holes in skins. http://www.wicksaircraft.com/catalog/product_detail.php/pid=6643~subid=10145/index.html

Last edited: