skidmk

Well Known Member
Hi all,,

are there oops rivets for 470AD4's.. or should I just drill bigger and go with the AD6?

bottom nutplate on the rudder spar muffed up....

M

Mike,
The so-called "oops" rivets are simply NAS1097 rivets; designed for shear applications, they have a smaller head than an AN426 of the same diameter. This allows you to drill a countersunk or dimpled hole one step larger without re-countersinking. There is no comparable rivet for 470s; just go to the next larger diameter, if it will clean up the hole without causing an edge distance or pitch problem. Going to an AD6 is a double step (there are AD5s, that is).

Note that standard pneumatic squeezers can't squeeze AD5...my CP214 can't at least.
I suspect that it may be difficult with a hand squeezer as well.

I am not sure what exactly you've screwed up, but you may want to contact Van's to see if there's some other acceptable workaround.

skidmk said:
thanks a million... I'll order some ad5's

Mike
Umm....not admitting anything, but I have some of those somewhere. :eek: Once I verify that I can find them, how do you want me to get them to you, Mike?

If it's really just a nutplate rivet that is messed up, you can either leave it alone, or turn the nutplate 90 degrees and drill new holes.

Guy

If the hole isn't too messed up, you can take a slightly longer 470AD4 and "pre-squeeze" it a little before putting it in the hole. I just keep pre-squeezing until it feels snug when I insert it. Then, just squeeze it down like normal. Especially if it is just a nut plate. All the rivet needs to do is keep the nutplate from spinning.

explanations

at the bottom of the rudder spar the final nutplate got mucked up (the holes were enlarged)...(so too did the holes in the spar and the rudder thingy:D) so I figured a 5 would be the best... as far as squeezing.. I'll just buck it if the pnuematic won't do it.

thanks again

sorry so late Mark,,, just reading this again.

M