Uh oh! (I hate having to start a new post with that) I inadvertantly sealed the fuel float cover on the fuel tanks with firewall sealant and not proseal. I leaked checked it and it doesn't leak. So the question is how does the firewall sealant hold up to av-gas? Is it safe to leave on or should I remove the covers (arrrgghh)?

I would remove the covers, clean off the old sealant, and re-do with the proper stuff. Do it now while everything is accessible and you won't be worrying about it later. Rework sucks but saves time and aggravation in the long run.

Good advice, got the same from Van's. Oh well, it pays to pay attention. I keep telling myself this falls under the "learn from your mistakes category".

Can you use fuel tank sealant to seal the firewall? I have half a qt left and I planned on using it for my FW.

Smoke or roast

briand said:
Can you use fuel tank sealant to seal the firewall? I have half a qt left and I planned on using it for my FW.

Sure you can...lots of builders do...and for the same reason....but if you have a FWF fire it will be a toss up between you choking to death from the proseal smoke or roasting as the flames burn straight through the stuff.

The correct sealant is CS1900 sold by Vans (can handle flash temps to 2000 degrees F). Go to
http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1171062430-328-714&browse=misc&product=cs1900

Well, the official answer to the original question is... "the CS 1900 is not approved for that application". Simply put, re-do time. So, if you decide to seal your fuel tank covers with firewall sealant, don't.
Thanks for all of the replies.