Dgamble

Well Known Member
I have a category on my blog that some of you may have seen: I call it "dumb mistakes."

Here's one that might come in handy:

As I was gathering up the panel parts to take to the powder-coating shop, I impulsively grabbed the steel steps out of storage - I had stuffed them away because they were rusting in the high humidity of the hangar. I figured I'd just have the shop coat them in a nice flat black.

I just got a call from a somewhat perplexed powder-coating guy asking if maybe there was something down inside of them, the reason for his asking being that they put them in the oven and were met by clouds of noxious smoke.

That's when I remembered the Pro-Seal plugs.

So, before you take your stuff to be powder coated, make sure it hasn't got any unwelcome surprises embedded in or on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stuffed my steps with "great stuff" foam and then realized I could no longer get them powder coated. Well I have second thoughts now, the foam should burn faster than proseal! :cool:

I stuffed my steps with "great stuff" foam and then realized I could no longer get them powder coated. Well I have second thoughts now, the foam should burn faster than proseal! :cool:

Pour some acetone in and watch the "great stuff" turn to "no stuff"

Be very careful using any "expanding" foam anywhere on a metal aircraft. It absorbs and holds water causing rust or corrosion.

Mel has a bug about that, and so do I. Its a time bomb kinda thing. What would you think if someone told you they foamed the struts in their Aeronca.

This is more advice than I hoped in one day!!!
After all it's only steps, unless I use then aloft I will not fall more than two ft.!
Good reminder however for creative people who might want to use foam on structural parts (like struts!).
I hear you Larry, I will definitely use acetone before powder painting, thanks.

Here's the result:

panelk.jpg