Brambo

Well Known Member
Is there any worse feeling than when you're cruising along doing an really great job (you think) when it suddenly dawns on you that you've made a mistake?

Working on the large aileron pushrods, the plans call for 6 evenly spaced rivets. I layed-out everything so nicely, and drilled perfect holes only to discover I had only 5 evenly spaced holes. :(

I called Van's to see if I can salvage the pushrods and they said I had three options:

1) Leave it alone, 5 revits is still plenty. (about 1500# shear strength)

2) Just add another rivet in between 2 others (there is enough room, but would look like ****)

3) re-order rods and start over.

I thought perhaps some comments from the gallery would be in order.

Bill
(Rv-7a QB wings)

Hardly anyone will notice. Probably no one else will ever see it. There will be plenty of these types of cases. I won't even call them mistakes. :) Just turn that pushrod, so that the rivet is out of view..........if you must.

I wouldn't even think of doing them again. Just look at many commercial built aircraft, where many rivets seem to be stuck un-evenly between the others.

I only replaced pushrods, when I was "stupid" and went by plan dimensions, instead of actual required lengths.

BTW, I'm installing a Tru-Trak altitude autopilot, located by the elevator bellcrank just behind the baggage compartment. If the plate that mounts the servo was installed when originally building the airplane, I'd rivet it on, with the orginal rivet pattern of the structure it attaches too.

But, there is no way, I'll drill out a bunch of existing well formed rivets. I'll simply drill holes in this bracket to allow the orginal rivet heads to poke through, and then add new rivets in between. This will look different than some other installations, but will be just as strong, and work just as well!

L.Adamson ---RV6A

Last edited:
Let it be

I would leave it alone. Van's has already told you that there is still plenty of strength and waiting for the new materials would just slow you down.

Joe Hutchison
RV-10 Tail Kit with several non-structural oops

Brambo said:
Is there any worse feeling than when you're cruising along doing an really great job (you think) when it suddenly dawns on you that you've made a mistake?

Working on the large aileron pushrods, the plans call for 6 evenly spaced rivets. I layed-out everything so nicely, and drilled perfect holes only to discover I had only 5 evenly spaced holes. :(

I called Van's to see if I can salvage the pushrods and they said I had three options:

1) Leave it alone, 5 revits is still plenty. (about 1500# shear strength)

2) Just add another rivet in between 2 others (there is enough room, but would look like ****)

3) re-order rods and start over.

I thought perhaps some comments from the gallery would be in order.

Bill
(Rv-7a QB wings)
If the rivets are linear you could add two rivets and change
from this: * * * * *
to this: *#* * *#*

'#' representing the added rivets.
At least there would be some symmetry.

If they're not linear then never mind :) !

-mike

Relax

A year from now you won't even think twice about something like this. Left to my own devices if I ran into this situation I would drill another hole and put a rivet in. If I had so much concern about structural integrity and long term reliability that I contacted Van's directly and they told me I didn't need the other rivet I might leave it out but I tend to be a worry wort so I might drill another hole and put in the other rivet. Either way it is not a problem and by the time you get emersed in the in the next task you will realize you dodged a bullit and everything is OK - consider it a wake up call.

Bob Axsom

4 rivets

I know of an RV that has been flying for years with four rivets per end. My Air Tractor (8000 LBS gross wt) only has two little ol' 1/4" bolts through the elevator pushrod! It's 16 years old with 7700 TTAF/ENG.

Leave the pushrods alone. :) :)

RScott said:
If strength is a concern, what about drilling out & replacing with next larger size rivets?

That was my first thought, but Van's says not a good idea. The amount of material removed from the Pushrod might be too much.

Bill

Thanks for all the input. Right now I think I'll leave it alone with 5 rivets. I guess if it really starts to bother me , I can always add another rivet later.

Bill

Be Warned

I put 6 rivets in the Aileron pushrods.
Beautiful.
I then charged on and put six in the Elevator pushrod.

It requires EIGHT.

Rang Vans and they suggested 12 to make it look neat.
I have 12.
Probably explains my aft C of G.

Anyway, be warned!
It's EIGHT for the elevator. Not Six........... or five.
Pete.