VETE76

Well Known Member
what r the pros and cons to an online pilot log book?
what are some good online log books too use?
thanks
fred

Last edited:
Online logs

I think the biggest con to online would be that if your pilot's log is online, it is not in your possession, and you are not in control of what happens to it. What would you do if it was lost?

How does your instructor sign of dual instruction and flight reviews?

How does your instructor sign of dual instruction and flight reviews?

Not sure about FAA, but TC CAR's have no requirements for instructors to be even touching your logbook. The instructor does however write in ones Pilot Training record (PTR) during training periods.

Anyone looking for a free electronic logbook, check out the excel one that I use.

Electronic Logbook from my website.

I accept payment in cash, credit, or beer :D

I have always used traditional logbooks since the day I started flying. I also enter every flight into my online pilot logbook as a backup, and for easier reference. As a member of EAA, I get a free account on AeroPlanner.com, an online flight planning service. A little known side benefit of AeroPlanner is their online logbook. Everything is categorized just like my paper logs, and after I enter everything in, it gives me column totals and I can double check my math in my paper logbook.

There have been a couple times when I've been traveling on vacation and wanted to rent a plane from an FBO. Not having my real logbooks with me, they have always accepted a summary printout from AeroPlanner as evidence of experience. Also, when I redo my insurance each year, it's very easy to ask the software for sorting results by time in type and hours in last 12 months, etc.

While I would never rely solely on electronic logs, they definitely have their benefits.

By "online" are you talking about a log that is up on the web some place?

I use a spreadsheet to track my hours and such but after I fill a "page" I hand write the numbers in my paper log. The paper log is my "official" log with all the signatures.

The Excel sheet just makes totaling it all up easier.

Let me know if you want a copy.

I use Checkoway's www.logshare.com as a backup to my actual logbook. Nice to have a backup in case my flightbag ever walks.

Plus it's real easy to sort by date, airplane, etc.

I use Safelog from Dauntless Software as a backup to my paper logbook. The software also connects to a web site so I can view my logbook from anywhere, even if my flight bag is still at home. The software also totals each page for me (my math skills have deteriorated since college!), and it makes it easy to total various types of piloting time for FAA applications, etc. (important for me, as I'm working on upgrading my certificate).

Not the cheapest solution, but I'm as pleased as can be with it.

-- Chris

I tested a few, and now use Logbook Pro from NC Software (backup to my paper logbooks, which I continue to use). Download for the Standard edition is available for $69.95 at http://www.logbookpro.com/

Professional version is more (I use the standard) and they have a Pocket PC version for an add of $29.95 (I just use the main program, but have seen a gent plug all his airline flying into his Palm OS device on the go.

Pretty powerful sorting and anylizing tools in the program, and it can print a logbook that looks like the Jeppesen Master Log.

Just another option as you look around at possibilities.

Cheers,
Bob