AX-O

Well Known Member
It is with great pleasure that I write this. Today is my one-year anniversary of drilling/riveting those first six holes on the elevator. I set a goal to build my own airplane when I graduated from 6th grade. Today I am one year into that childhood dream. When I started working on the plane, I wanted to average at least 10 hours a week. That has been challenging due to my work and home schedule. As of today, I am averaging 9.3 hours a week and have performed 480 hours (does not include research, reading plans and instructions). The tail feathers were completed in 165.5 hours (minus glass work). The wings have approximately 315 hours of work on them. My plans go everywhere I go, kind of like VISA ?everywhere you want to be?. I have learned so much over the past year. A lot about building an airplane and even more about myself. I find myself enjoying things that a normal person would find boring, a waist of time or just stupid. I also find myself loosing or just not finding patience during those repetitive tasks like deburring wing ribs.

I have made a few mistakes to date (all have been corrected). Some where fine however, I could not sleep at night so they were fixed.
1) Cut the R-710 rudder horn per plans and did not get the right edge distance.
2) Dimpled #8 screw holes on the tank skin and cracked a few dimples. I ordered new skins even though Vans told me to use them.

Few things that I have learned:
1) Sometimes good-enough works (just like in Test Pilot School). If I build every part that I am not 100% happy with, I will end up building about 3 planes.
2) My second plane will be much better.
3) If it is giving me a lot of problems, then I am doing something wrong. Put it down and pick it up some other time.
4) When I make a mistake, sometimes it is better to leave it than to try to fix it. Sometimes I end up making things worst.
5) I am very picky about my work and work environment. This is a hobby, I should be having fun.
6) I fear the unknown. When I read the plans, instructions and forum posts regarding a task that I have yet to perform, sometimes I get scared or just feel not confident. Once I touch the parts and work on it, that uneasy feeling goes away somewhat. Have not used proseal yet?

Goals for next year:
1) Spend more time with my girlfriend.
2) Strive for an average of 10 hours of build time every week or better.
3) Finish the wings.
4) Order the fuselage. Maybe after OSH. Last year Vans released the 100% pre-punched fuse. I am hoping this year the release the fastback myth.

I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has help me so far. Especially to Mike Sumner for his A+ work. He is the only guy that I would allow to work on my bird unsupervised. Thanks to everyone at vansairforce.net (Doug) for answering all my questions. Also, thanks for all the friendships. Can?t wait until this childhood dream becomes a reality. If you just started, keep banging rivets. If you are flying, I will see you soon.

One year ago. Had the RV grin just holding the boxes.
FP08042007A0005I.jpg

The first 6 rivets one year ago.
FP08042007A0005J.jpg

Today.
FP08042007A0005K.jpg

Weekly progress for the first year.
FP08042007A0005L.jpg

Total hours worked during the first year.
FP08042007A0005M.jpg

Total percent of aircraft completed during the first year.
FP08042007A0005N.jpg

Congratulations!

Great report Axel - I can tell that you live in an engineering profession.... :p

Paul

AX-O said:
I have made a few mistakes to date (all have been corrected). Some where fine however, I could not sleep at night so they were fixed.
1) Cut the R-710 rudder horn per plans and did not get the right edge distance.
2) Dimpled #8 screw holes on the tank skin and cracked a few dimples. I ordered new skins even though Vans told me to use them.

Few things that I have learned:
1) Sometimes good-enough works (just like in Test Pilot School). If I build every part that I am not 100% happy with, I will end up building about 3 planes.
2) My second plane will be much better.
3) If it is giving me a lot of problems, then I am doing something wrong. Put it down and pick it up some other time.
4) When I make a mistake, sometimes it is better to leave it than to try to fix it. Sometimes I end up making things worst.
5) I am very picky about my work and work environment. This is a hobby, I should be having fun.
6) I fear the unknown. When I read the plans, instructions and forum posts regarding a task that I have yet to perform, sometimes I get scared or just feel not confident. Once I touch the parts and work on it, that uneasy feeling goes away somewhat. Have not used proseal yet?

Wow, I couldn't have written it better if I tried. I gotta believe that there are several of us that have felt and feel the same way you do. Let's just keep poundin' away!

Ironflight said:
Great report Axel - I can tell that you live in an engineering profession.... :p

Paul
Paul, I am an Aerospace engineer conducting/performing flight test. Best job ever :D

OK, 'fess up... We know you've done linear regression and extrapolated graph 3. Does your projected completion date fall on a Saturday? :D :D :D Great progress. Thanks for the detail.

-Karl
(tools/lobbying)

Axel,

This probably won't help an engineer who is striving for 100% perfection, but I'll say it anyway: You are building an airplane not a watch. It only has to fly, not keep time. Give yourself a break and you might find that building the airplane is a big part of the fun.

The Doll was a slow build kit, and I believe the twentieth RV-8 to fly. There was not as much help out there as Doug's VAF site offers today. We had a small group called the "Short Listers". I built the Doll in two years and seven months, so I passed up most of the guys ahead of me, and had to use Vans to answer questions. I made plenty of "small" mistakes, ordered replacement parts, and started over.

My goal was to build an RV-8 that could be unpainted and polished. That required no major surface screw ups. I painted the Doll but she could have been polished with a two or three smiles showing on the tail skins.

I'm sure your quality control will be superior to mine which brings me to my point. You can enjoy the building process, make some mistakes, press on, and build an safe, award winning RV.

Seven years later, and 900 hours on the tach has removed all my doubts. Like you, I could build a better RV next time, but this one is pretty good!

Have fun smashing those rivets, the reward is bigger than you can imagine at this point.

Last edited:
When I cut a hole in the foundation of my house to get the plane out of the basement, the Dayton Daily came out to cover the "story". For the record, I was quoted as saying, "After 5 years, 10,000 rivets, and three girl-friends later - I have an airplane." Yep- it?s true. :cool:

I since moved from the house with a hole in the basement and married "the last one". We now we have a beautiful 2-year old named Amelia who loves to fly. I just sold my RV-6 last week as we're now a three-seat family and am strongly considering starting on a 10 (too bad I moved...)

You're doing and feeling exactly what every other builder experiences. Keep up the good work (and yes, finish the airplane - then get married...)

Steve Campbell
(prior owner N601SC)

What is it about us Engineers?

Great summary Axel. I dream about mistakes, how to do it better and getting everything acceptable. In my day job, accepting less than perfect scramjet designs, hardware, costs, and schedule is so easy. But, this is my plane and my craftsmanship,,,it certainly won't be perfect. It will be very airworthy. ;)

K?hler said:
OK, 'fess up... We know you've done linear regression and extrapolated graph 3. Does your projected completion date fall on a Saturday? :D :D :D Great progress. Thanks for the detail.

-Karl
(tools/lobbying)

I think it will be on a Saturday at about 10:07:32 AM California time. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
To all,
Thanks for the advice and kind words.

Axel,
Congrats, you have made a lot of progress in your first year. I have enjoyed following your log. Excellent job, stay with it.
Jim