krw5927

Well Known Member
I haven't been planning to go to Osh this year, but a couple nights ago the "bug" suddenly bit me and I thought, why not fly up for just one day - say leave home Thursday morning and return on Friday. With the weather forecast in WI looking pretty nice, camping with the RV wouuld seem to be the least hassle.

But now I read that there is a three-night minimum for camping, and EAA membership required and on and on... What a hassle after all. Is there no way for a guy to fly up for just one day and camp with his RV, pay for a day's admission to the show, and have that be that?

I've been to Airventure before (not camping), and have minimum vacation time to leave work. So I guess if there really is no way to do just one night then I'll stay home. What a shame though.

Anyone know if the 3-night minimum is real or if there are other options that aren't a total hassle for just one night?

It is real. They make you pay for the duration and get a refund for the difference when you leave less the 3 night minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks Brian. I guess that seals the deal then. No oshkosh for me.

I wonder why the policy discouraging campers less than 3 nights.

Why not just fly and park in HBP and pitch a tent with a friend either in HBC or the Campground?

There are camping credential police that drive around looking for the tag they give you to out on your tent.

The three day minimum is a very offensive policy. I believe if you come Friday you'll only be charged for 2 nights, Saturday 1 night (unless you don't leave Sunday). Can anyone confirm?

always a work around

work around
fly into Fond du Lac $ 50 for camping the whole week or just one night
take the shuttle (hourly) to osh and enjoy the show and camp one night pay the visitor non member entry fee.
On the other hand, you could look at this as a way to support EAA. The nuggets of knowledge that you may gain from forums and vendors sometimes are well worth the extra bucks that it cost. Golf is a cheaper hobby.

On the other hand, you could look at this as a way to support EAA. The nuggets of knowledge that you may gain from forums and vendors sometimes are well worth the extra bucks that it cost. Golf is a cheaper hobby.

I could also support EAA by simply sending a check equal to EAA's margin on what I would spend for admission, food, and one night camping. But if we all did that, what would happen to the non-fly-in revenue which, if I were to guess, is a significant portion of EAA's needs for the year? Would the EAA be better off? I doubt it.

People come to Oshkosh for the planes. Discouraging the planes doesn't seem like a wise strategy. I can understand if EAA's marginal cost on an RV flying in for one night of camping exceeds revenue. If so, then perhaps slightly raising the per-night camping rate and offering a discount for 3 or more nights would be something EAA would want to explore in the future.

Thank you to all who have offered alternatives. Unfortunately they all seem to come with quite a bit more hassle in terms of transportation and time, and without the HBC atmosphere that everyone seems to rave about. I was really hoping to experience that and meet some of you guys, and enjoy the beautiful weather forecast. It's not about the cost - I was on the fence about going, and got shoved clean off by the 3-night policy.

Last edited:
I arrived Saturday 1200.
I was charged the week for camping but they will only hit me for 3 days, Monday,Tuesday & Wednesday . When I leave Thursday morning, they will refund me the balance of the week.
So really , there's no charge for the Saturday, Sunday