CNEJR

Well Known Member
With me finishing my RV6 and the weather being generally bad, I have been spending more time at home. My wife on two ocassions has now said "Chuck, you need to get another airplane, not a finished one, one you have to work on at the Airport.":rolleyes:

Ain't Life Great?..........See being a pain in the kester counts for something!:cool:

Been thinking about a "Bearhawk or RV10.:)

Last edited:
My wife on two ocassions has now said "Chuck, you need to get another airplane, not a finished one, one you have to work on at the Airport.":rolleyes:
One just have to wonder what is your wife interest in _not_ having you at home :)

My wife on two ocassions has now said "Chuck, you need to get another airplane, not a finished one, one you have to work on at the Airport.":rolleyes:
One just have to wonder what is your wife interest in _not_ having you at home :)

Kidding aside my vote goes for Bearhawk on floats.

My wife just rolls er eyes anytime I start a sentance with "on the next plane". I guess I should finish this one first...haha. I'm pretty sure I will build another as soon as this one is done. I would like to build a tube and fabric and a composite just for the experiance.

Tube and fabric - Short Field bush plane or Aerobatic Biplane
Composite - 4 seat c/c machine

and the dream continues...

The second plane..

I took advantage of my wife's ignorance of all things aviation on the first plane.....now she knows better. With this second plane, a Hatz biplane, she has a list of things she will not be part of. Mortgaging the house to get an engine, tolerating paint overspray everywhere - even on her car (whoops), parts stashed all over the house, and on and on.

"Yes, dear. I'll do exactly as you say" :rolleyes:

At 61 years old..........

Who Cares??? I have always considered myself lucky that she has been the type of wife to always take good care of me, but at the same time I could just about always go and do what I like as long as she could spend what she wanted within reason. Has worked for 25 years.

Now Bearhawk or RV10? :)

One is NOT enough... :)

Our -10 is mostly done now, still have to work up the ambition to finish the gear fairings, but she's flying... flying well!

On the floor of the Hangar is the -8 kit... I'm a gluten for punishment.

Who Cares??? I have always considered myself lucky that she has been the type of wife to always take good care of me, but at the same time I could just about always go and do what I like as long as she could spend what she wanted within reason. Has worked for 25 years.

The only question that counts here is; "Does she have a sister?"

;)

I vote for a -10, but then again I'm a tad prejudice. :D

Hmmmm...Ya want to go fishin' and haul lots of gear, or travel with friends in style? Either are great goals of course, and perhaps you could do either, in either! :)

Here's what my next door neighbor decided:

bearhawk.jpg

bearhawkandrv8.jpg

The Bearhawk is his third (2x RV-8 before, and has helped most everyone on the field with theirs too.) It's a work of art, and a blast to fly...way different than the RV.

If you go Bearhawk, c'mon out and visit during the races...I'm sure we can sneak in and take a peak! Then again, the hangars are open and we're BBQing and carrying on, so c'mon out anyway, even if you go RV-10...which ain't a bad idea either!! :)

Cheers,
Bob

Bob, that is........

a beauty of an airplane. I have a friend building one over in Waller, TX. They are just so different than an RV. Would love to see that one.

Chuck,

They are really neat. This one has an IO-540, so it hauls, and it hauls, if ya know what I mean. I found it teaching me about rudder pedals in turns again, but it flew strong and true. Good stuff.

Not to dissuade you from the Bearhawk, but along the same lines...how 'bout a Murphy Moose (with an M-14 and floats of course!) ;)

Hope you make it out to the races...is it too early to talk about the next R3 BBQ? :D

Cheers,
Bob

My wife's the same way.:) It's worked for us for 29 years. We don't ask each other if we can do something, we just tell each other what our plan is and "make it work" from there. NEVER had an argument over "well you got that, so I'm getting this" sort of thing. Really never had any arguments at all, just a 5 minute or so disagreement, then all was well. Agree to disagree then go on with life.

Marshall Alexander
OKC, OK

next?

That Bearhawk looks really good. That would be a swell plane to have with an RV8. You would have planes that do different missions. Great Idea!

Last edited:
I would like to build a tube and fabric and a composite just for the experiance. and the dream continues...

Plastic ariplane? Not to start anything here, but they ought to have a twelve-step program for that..

A hangar buddy of mine, who worked for Boeing a number of years doing composites, is building a Lancair ES. I bet he has as many hours just sanding, filling, sanding, filling, as I have on my entire -6a build. Well, maybe not, but close, and this guy is an expert!!!

Although he will have a beautiful aircraft when he's done, there is no way I could do that kind of mind-numbing work day after day, ad infinitum...He says his next project is... You guessed it, an RV-10...

HTH

Who Cares??? ...

When my wife gave birth to our son 16 months ago I went through the same thought process. Only, I need a family hauler.

My options were to teach her to fly the -9 (she was ready to start taking lessons when she found out she was pregnant) and build a -3 or Pitts. That way we could take both planes, if we wanted to go somewhere as a family. ;) (My Pitts S-1C plans arrived the same day she told me I was going to be a dad.)

The next option was the -10 but I really wanted to scratch build so I started looking at the Bearhawk. Although they have the same engine, the BHawk is slower on both ends of envelope and it will haul more.

I was ready to order the plans before OSH but then a trailer intervened and now I'm just hoping to get my -9 back together.

Funny, but after flying three different Highlanders for KITPLANES, I keep thinking of replacing the -9 with one of those. Who knows what I'll do.

When I built mine I justified being gone all the time towards the end because I was getting so close. After it's first flight I've justified going to the airport almost every day because I'm trying to fly off my 40 hours. My wife asked me yesterday what are you going to do once the 40 hours are flown off?? I thought for a second and said.. come up with another reason to go to the airport. She rolled her eyes. She has been so supportive during this entire process. Guys make sure and tell your wives Thank You and mean it this Valentines day. I have friends that have all but given up all their toys because they either could not find that critical balance or their significant others hated them doing it. Say what you want but IMO family support is critical to enjoy building and flying.

Another option

I have been working on my RV-6A since 1996. I had 3,700+ hours on it when I made the first flight. I fly it in cross country air races in the RV Blue class (360 cu. in.) in Sport Air Racing League sanctioned races (www.sportairrace.org) and the competition is very motivational to make it faster. My hours logged and photo documented in speed modifications is now nearly 5,400 hours with no end in sight.

Bob Axsom