Mr Charles

Well Known Member
I am thinking of adding a second GPS (Garmin 296) for my rear seat passenger in my RV-4, and will be replacing my old 195 with a 496 in the front. Two questions...1) my 195 remote antenna is nicely mounted and I hate to redo it, can I use it by somehow changing the end at the GPS with a BNC connector that the 496 requires, and 2) can I tap into, split the antenna cable to add the second backseat gps? (can I utilize one antenna puck for both GPS's?)
Thanks
Mr Charles

ant

be real careful with garmins and ant. the ant use a certain voltage. check with garmin before you use anything but the ant. it came with.

Antena

If you use the pink (salmon RG400) colored cable you can use it with most any GPS. I forget the cable numbers but not the black RG58? cable. Replace the antenna with the one that comes with the GPS unit. This is really a good idea as they are tuned and have voltage match issues.

For the back seat 296 I find that the antenna on the GPS works fine without the external antenna. I also like the thought of having a complete separate system as backup. Just my thoughts... I have a 296 backup to the GNS430. Wishing I had WX.

Last edited:
Some GPS units...

...supply voltage to a pre-amp that is built into the antenna. I'm not sure if the unit that you have does this.

Assume that it does not, then you would need to add a 2-way splitter into the antenna feed. The draw back here is that while the splitter is matching the impedance of the GPS and antenna(s), it cuts the signal strength in half that goes to each GPS unit.

Then, the next question is does the splitter pass the pre-amp voltage (if needed) to the antenna, does it block the voltage to the "other" GPS unit, or, do the two different GPS units use different voltages to power (??) the antenna...if required?

I know I have not answered your specific question, but is there a reason that you can not use a second antenna?

Aera 510

If you upgrade to a Garmin Aera 510 you will not need to mount an antenna for it. The internal antenna and receiver is awesome on this unit. I can sit on the couch in my living room and receive enough signals for it to work fine. Closest window is 6 feet away. I could not do that with my 296. I do not have to use a separate antenna for it in my RV7A either.

If you upgrade to a Garmin Aera 510 you will not need to mount an antenna for it. The internal antenna and receiver is awesome on this unit. I can sit on the couch in my living room and receive enough signals for it to work fine. Closest window is 6 feet away. I could not do that with my 296. I do not have to use a separate antenna for it in my RV7A either.

The 696 is the same way - I don't use an exterior antenna at all.

Garmin antenna

Thanks for the replies...
I have decided that the 296 in the rear will function fine off of the built in antenna...temp mounted it and it worked fine...
Still would like to know about installing the 496 in place of the 195. The 195 remote antenna (it is a Garmin antenna) has a different connector at the GPS--not a bnc connector. So...will that antenna work for the 496 and can I change the connector to a bnc type to fit the 496?
Charles