Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Sorry folks?.if you?re looking for another RV travel story, it?s gonna have to wait. In fact, I thought I?d share an interesting realization about how your life changes when you get an RV flying. I have always been a traveler, and a long distance driver. Load up the truck in Houston, set out for Minneapolis, non-stop. Or Colorado - or even Montana! (OK, A stop is required on THAT trip!). But ever since the RV-8 has been flying?.who wants to spend 21 hours in a truck on the road when you can cover the same distance in 5.5 hours and less cost!? So the long distance driving had kind of gone the way of the Dodo Bird - or so I thought?.

Unfortunately, I can?t fit a household full of ?stuff? in the RV (weight and balance you know), so I have to hit the road for D.C. to go bring Louise, her household, and ?Karst the Wonder Dog? back to Houston. No RV?ing until everything makes it back to Houston sometime late next week?After all the dust settles, Louise should be in D.C. for a few more months with her airplane and my truck, and I?ll be in Houston with her Four-Runner, my airplane, and Karst. Lot of miles to cover to make that happen! And all at a ground speed of 60.8 knots.....:(

Now I am a bit rusty on this whole ground trip planning thing. Gotta use mph instead of knots if I recall ? fuel burn is in mpg instead of gallons/hour ? IFR reserves? No, that can?t be right?.What?s the glide ratio of an Enterprise Rental Truck anyway?

Ya?ll have fun here in RV-land while I check out the ?Interstates of the Deep South? tour tonight?.

Paul

Paul, I'd be happy to take your RV out for a spin to keep the oil sloshed around the cams while you're on the road. Good friend and all....

So, where's that secret hangar key?

:)

Drive safe!

DANG!!

Paul. why do you have to leave now? I am flying into DWH next Monday and have to R.O.N. 2 night. I was hoping to meet you and see what is happening in the Houston area. OK, guys, nothing for me to do in Houston for a couple of days. Anyone need help building or extra baggage for some flying? If I can't be home working on my, er, uh, OUR -7, I may as well help someone else.:eek:

...and “Karst the Wonder Dog”
IIRC, this is Karst (who, BTW, doesn't like to stay still for long) and someone's legs (JayP?). If not, I'm a bonehead.

Oh, wait, I am a bonehead. Then .... if I have it wrong, I'm a forgetful bonehead.

Oh, wait...

RV_Pooch_web.jpg

TODR

PS - 60.8 kt GS? And I thought I was a slowpoke! Oh, wait ....

Yup - that's Karst - 100 lbs of sinew and muscle Malamute!

This also means that Louise (and I) won't be able to make the Texas RV Fly-in this weekend - and she was all set to defend her ultimate championship from last year.....

Last edited:
Yup - that's Karst - 100 lbs of sinew and muscle Malamute!

This also means that Louise (and I) won't be able to make the Texas RV Fly-in this weekend - and she was all set to defend her ultimate championship from last year.....
Sorry you won't make it. Send Karst instead. :D

And as for your groundspeed, I hope to spend some of the weekend at 40kt ASI, 0kt GS thermaling in the glider, so don't feel bad. ;)

TODR

Oh good grief! how are we gonna get buy till you guys get back!

Travel safe.

At least if you have a flat you won't have to rebuild your wheel pant again!

cheers to all

Twenty Five Hours Door to Door.....

That's what it took, Houston to D.C. with a couple hours napping in a rest area in eastern Alabama in the middle of the night.....boy, it REALLY makes you appreciate the 6.5 hours it takes in the RV!

This was the first time I really used a 396 in highway mode - I found the "Computer" page to be totally mystifying.....none of the ETA's made sense the whole way - and boy, I sure tried to figure it out! (not much else to do....) Guess I'll have to RTFM....

I did the Texas A&M to Pentagon drive many years ago and it isn't fun. At least there is some cool weather to drive in!

LA to Houston, 1600 miles on I-10, no turns, stops only for gas in my 83 Civic while in college, 23 hours (back in the days of "55"). Did that for lots of Christmas and Spring Breaks. We took turns and almost always stopped in El Paso for green chili enchiladas.

TODR