RV6_flyer

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I already started my Oshkosh vacation and have already flown 12.7 hours.

I am using AirNav to find my fuel stops looking for the lowest priced fuel that is not out of my way.
I have been bit by a few Got-ya?s that I think I should share.

I would like to recommend that you check info on the airport before making it one of your stops.

I was planning on stopping at H92 for $2.95 100LL. The price was last updated 29 Jun. When you check the AirNav info for that airport, scroll to the bottom of the page and read comments on the fuel service. You need to phone the number to get someone to come out to turn the pump on. If you want to use a credit card, they need to take you into town.

The next problem that I had was with OKM. AirNav lists fuel at $3.18 updated 1 July. Weathermeister.com listed the runway as CLOSED since 1 May. DUATS did not show a CLOSED runway or at least I did not find it. AWOS listed the AIRPORT as CLOSED when I got close enough to hear it.

Just want to let everyone know that there is money to be saved using AirNav to help with picking where you stop for lower priced fuel. Be warned that you may need to jump through hoops to get fuel or it is possible that it is not available. I recommend keeping your reserve large enough that you can go some place else to get fuel.

another place that list cheap fuel

Also, be sure to check out 100LL.com. I've had great results finding cheap gas and its simple to use. Type in an airport ident, lets say KATL, and click search. Scroll down towards the bottom and it will list other nearby fuel prices within 100 miles using your search airport as the center of the search radius starting with the lowest. I'm planning a trip to Denver in August. I plan to stop near the haplfway point which is Joplin Mo. I plugged KJLN and hit search and found that gas at Monett, Mo is $3.40. And since I plan to stop for the cheap fuel as much as I can, this site works well for me. Just my 2 cents... :)

Good Fuel Stops

in the great midwest are Great Bend, KS (GBD) $3.37/100LL SS and TEKAMAH, NE (TQE) (just north of Omaha) $3.24/100LL SS.

Have fun and see ya there!