avengingangel

Well Known Member
just wondering what people are using?
i'm looking at the light sport groups a/v-ator hd. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Its not easy to hook into the aircraft audio system. I have a system from xtreme-recall which has an adapter into the headset plug, and a microphone that can be put into your headset cup. But the website is down, so I don't know if they are still in business. Its not the easiest system to use, and transferring the movie from the tape to your computer is a hassle (that I haven't yet really sorted) - but apparently its a good system when it works.

See http://www.helmetcamreview.com/CamTests.htm

Pete

I have an ATC2K that I picked up cheap a number of years ago. I'm using the helmet strap mount, without the strap, in an aluminum bracket that I made for it. The top screws under the heads of two of the screws holding my fibreglass vertical stab tip in place, the bottom is held flush with the side of the vertical stab using some painter's tape. Unfortunately the video quality is poor. I think the vibration of the camera is preventing a smooth image. I may try just attaching it to my helmet for a future flight, to see how different it is.

Sport Aviation

Good article in the March 2010 edition of Sort Aviation addressing this very subject. ;)

I've had no experience with the camcorder you mention, but .....

I commend you for showing as much interest in the audio as the video. I feel it is important for a lot of reasons, to have the native audio (available at least), for the final 'product'.

Many people just get a portable camera and because the audio is too hard to do, just plaster over the soundtrack with someone elses audio (usually rock music) in post production. Most well produced flying videos end up having a mix of native audio and other audio in the final production. And if the video is being used as an example or to teach, then the audio or a narration is very important.

There are many ways to get the audio, ranging from the simple 'microphone' in headset muff, to a separate digital audio recorder. In my case, I plan to use a small SDHC, 4 channel, digital recorder, with wired input from the audio panel.

JMHO - Zing away, music lovers.

I have the ContourHD which is the same camera as the A/V-8R. I purchased mine before they put the mic jack on the outside. I hacked mine to put a mic jack on the outside and it works well. This allows me to put the microphone inside my headset so the camera hears what I hear. You could also wire a piece to go between your headset and the jack on the airplane from common radio shack items.

Me screwing around with the camera after I hacked it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkQUsywywRY

The ding was me getting a text message through the bluetooth on the headset. Technology is great.

This camera is great for the money. I may purchase another one and sync the video from each.

Hi Tim. Yes I'm interested.
I watched the videos on their site. I just want to mount it inside. I see a good bracket comes with it.
I like the audio for the full experience. I'll have to read more about how the audio links in. I thought it might just plug in easy. But some are talking about in other units placing a mike inside the ear, but what about transmitting.

Let me know. If it sets up easy for audio then I definitely want one. Thanks