N363RV

Well Known Member
We left GPM at 0530 and it was 86F on the ground, we climbed to 2500' and found ourselves in an inversion layer which made the outside air temperature 97F...it's 0530 folks! Now at 5pm CDT in Southern Colorado it is raining and the outside air temperature is 59F now!! What a big difference a couple of states can make!! And by the way it only took us 3 hours to get here in an RV6A :D

What a big difference a couple of states can make!! And by the way it only took us 3 hours to get here in an RV6A :D

And that right there is why the wifey and I made a quick trip to Ruidoso, NM two weeks ago... gotta escape the heat! A mere 3:20 in the RV and we're away from the humid sweatbox that is Houston and up in the mountains where its 60 degrees at night and a dry 80 or so daytime. Nice.

Hey Guys, It's TEXAS!

It's supposed to be hot!

Right now it's 6:28 pm and I'm showing 106? with a heat index of 116?.

We left GPM at 0530 and it was 86F on the ground, we climbed to 2500' and found ourselves in an inversion layer which made the outside air temperature 97F...it's 0530 folks! Now at 5pm CDT in Southern Colorado it is raining and the outside air temperature is 59F now!! What a big difference a couple of states can make!! And by the way it only took us 3 hours to get here in an RV6A :D

Crash,
Should have been in the hangar last night.
130* OUCH.

Have a safe trip call me when you get back.

Boomer

Its always been hot in Texas...except Lubbock in January

It's supposed to be hot!

Right now it's 6:28 pm and I'm showing 106? with a heat index of 116?.

That's about how it was in June of 1957 when I enlisted in the USAF and was sent to San Antonio for basic training from somewhat cooler Minnesota. It was an all night, 5 or 6 leg Brannif flight and when they opened the door at San Antonio in the morning, what a shock. It was HOT. So this is Texas, it wasn't anything like I thought, there were no cowboys or long horn cattle anywhere in sight. Just a mean looking sergeant from Lackland.

I didn't know the ground could get so hard and things so dry and of course no air conditioning. In those days the service still provided its own mess hall slaves, i.e., new recruits, so part of that initial training was a 2 am roll out for mess hall duty for 18 hours which went on for a week. It was still hot at just past mid night. At least in Minnesota it cooled off at night, but not in Texas. I remember pealing a potato that week, among hundreds of other potatoes, but this one seemed so light, like it had not density. And then I saw the hole and out came a huge roach. He had eaten out the inside and was living there like in a cave.

Rain, what's that? Oh, its the stuff that comes out of the sky and when it does there's a big flood to replace the drought because it won't stop for days. Suddenly, that very hard dirt becomes mud, lots of it. That year went from a drought to hurricane or tropical storm - it was so wet, you couldn't dry after a shower 'cause the towel was wet. Hurricanes absolutely make everything wet, again no AC. Rain doesn't fall out of the sky in a hurricane, it comes from no where side ways.

Texas weather is as extreme as anywhere on the planet. Tornadoes, snow storms, dust storms, hurricanes, huge thunderstorms, and drought. Drought is the worst 'cause stuff dies for lack of water. And then there's northwest Texas in January.

As hot as San Antonio was that summer, it was bitter cold three years later in Lubbock at Reese for T-bird flight training. I mean like there were mornings before the sun came up and first launch when it was below zero. And wind, always a wind. The training was deficient because we never learned to land in a calm wind, always cross wind.

I once saw a spider on a country road in Texas. It was least 6 inches tall and a foot wide with long hairy legs. That's the reason I won't live in Texas no more - the weather I could deal with but not big spiders.

Texas' drought will end, at least it always has in the past, but this one is bad. I feel for the country folk, there isn't enough water and feed to keep livestock alive so ranchers are selling. It isn't good. In fact nothing is good today, the market really took a dive.

We're setting energy demand records too... Almost had rolling black-outs today, but seems they worked out the load shedding well enough.

It was 100 in the hangar this evening. The strange thing is it didn't feel that bad. I remember when 100 used to be hot. Now it's just a fact of life, can't let it stop forward progress.

Ok. Perhaps this is the point to ask this...

As a Canadian, having to deal with the opposite end of the spectrum, would you prefer to take the heat now, or have -10F to +10F from November to March?

Personally, I can't comprehend the temps your talking about!

If you're building it's the perfect time to be working on the canopy, it'll be nice and soft :D

Ok. Perhaps this is the point to ask this...

As a Canadian, having to deal with the opposite end of the spectrum, would you prefer to take the heat now, or have -10F to +10F from November to March?

Personally, I can't comprehend the temps your talking about!

I would rather have the heat. I can get out in this 113 degree heat and accomplish. Not pleasant but...
I can't comprehend the temps you are talking about.

I flew 2 hrs past sunset last night and didn't get below 99F even at 3500AGL.

OMG, THE HUMANITY. IF THIS HEAT KEEPS UP, ALL OF OUR SNOW WILL MELT!

Trail Ridge Road (12,200') - Near Granby Colorado (KGNB)

trailridge.jpg

Last edited:
I've been waiting and waiting around here for temps warm enough to cut my canopy. We've had a small handful of days all year when it reached 80? and it's way too cool in the evenings (when I usually work on my RV) to cut the canopy. Too bad you can't send just a little of that heat up here to the Northwest! I'm thankful not to be suffering in that kind of heat, though.