Pilotjim77

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm going to see an older RV6 project to potentially buy. Airframe is close to complete; no engine or prop. I plan to have a prebuy done, but on my initial visit to see the airplane, are there certain things I should look at?

This will be a first time RV for me.

I know this may have been discussed before, but I was unable to find any threads. Perhaps if someone could maybe direct me to some older threads covering this topic. I have no experience building, and I am not a mechanic. PPL with about 400 hours in various single engine aircraft.

Thanks so much for any help.

Jim

Jim, having accompanied several friends to see old RV projects, I can tell you that the best thing you can do is to take someone with you who has built an RV, preferably and RV-6. They will know what to look for, and more importantly, will know right away whether the project is worth purchasing or not. I don't think you can narrow it down to a list of things to look for; it's more like there may be a series of misadventures, or mistakes that may not be worth fixing. What is the quality of the workmanship and are there imperfections that you may not be able to live with? Things like that. I've seen projects where every single rivet on a wing, for example, was raised--you could catch the rivet edge with your fingernail. Things like edge distances not being adhered to, just to list another common mistake. Clinched rivets. I could go on and on. It's pretty obvious to an experienced builder when you do find one that has been done right through and through. The original builder may have made a mistake here and there, but he went back and fixed it properly. Go out and find someone in your local area and pay him if necessary to accompany you on your inspection. It will be well worth your while.

Thank you, Pat. I will try the local EAA chapters around here tomorrow to see if I can locate an RV6 builder in my area.