tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I have an older 8A kit, serial number 80538. The pushrod that attaches to the front stick and the rear stick bottomed out on the control column. I tried adjusting it in every way I could think of....no joy. When I pulled the stick back I could feel the "thump" when the pushrod end hit the bottom of the control column.

I called Vans. They told me that there had been a problem with the early kits and that a new pushrod had been designed with tapered ends that eliminated the problem. They are sending me one.

I wanted to pass this along to the rest of you who may have early 8/8A kits in case you experience the same problem.

I remember that

Tony:

I had that problem also (kit 80898). As I recall the problem was that the vendor supplying the control column welded the attach plate for the sticks in the wrong place. As a novice builder this one really threw me as I tried to figure out what I did wrong. I finally called Van's and they said I could re-weld the attach plate in the proper position. I didn't know if he was kidding or not, but my reply was "I don't think so, you've never seen me weld. How about replacing the part?" He replied, "Or we could send you a new part." Which he promptly did at no charge.

Since my kit number is 360 "newer" than yours, it may be something that went on for awhile. I seem to recall a friend of mine (an early, early builder) who ran in to the same problem. His fix was to put the control column in a vise and squeeze it into an oval so that there was enough depth for the pushrod to clear.

For any reader new to building, don't be afraid to call Van's if something doesn't seem right. They do make mistakes every now and then, or you may be the first to get a part from a bad vendor batch. I found that they always worked with me and were prompt in replacing anything defective.

Chris

Last edited: