splevy

I was wondering if there has been any change in the location of the fuel outlet position of mechanical fuel pumps over the years.

I just received back my certified O-320 from overhaul, and discovered that the rigid stainless steel fuel line that runs from the fuel pump outlet to the carburetor is about 1/4 inch too long (right shape, just sits about 1/4 inch too low to go into the fitting on the carburetor).

The steel line and various fittings are the ones I removed, but because I received a new carb and fuel pump as part of the overhaul, I don't know which may have changed. The sump is the same one I sent, since the tag is still on it and there is no mention of a new one in the documentation that came back with the engine.

Bending the line to fit is not a problem. I just want to be sure this isn't an indication of some other issue.

The previous overhaul (and presumably fuel pump) dates back to 1984.

All the parts involved are Lycoming, as far as I can tell.

Any advice is appreciated.

Stan

The pumps changed in design slightly when AC stopped making them and Lycoming took over. The actual outside dimension of the pumps changed slightly and the port locations changed slightly. An older style pump has the letters AC embossed on the bottom of the pump and a newer style one doesn't. Be advised, If you had a cooling shroud on you old installation, that won't fit correctly on the new pump without modification. Lycoming SI 1110C tells about it little bit.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."