Pounder

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I’m about to build an IFR glass panel for my -8. I’ll preface with this: I have had a career of 121 operational experience but have always been and continue to be a reluctant, single engine ga IMC flier, or even VMC at night. Especially as I get older :)

With that I’m kinda considering an old school "partial panel” backup. I tend to go with the philosophy that, if I have it I wont need it. And no, I still will not plan to fly into low vis, crappy wx.

It’s just that I have had a crazy history of failures, and not all attributable to me the operator.

With limited panel space, I would like to find room for independent

1) Airspeed
2) Altitude
3) VSI
4) Turn coordinator

Anyone in the braintrust aware of any two-in-one, or even three-in-one combinations of the above list?

I'm also an old school IFR type. The G5 has different sensors and software from other Garmin gear, so you get freedom from common mode failure.

I've flown simulated IFR with only the G5 and an aera 660 with the geo-referenced map. Not all that hard to do. The hard part was setting power with no engine instruments.

Save the panel space and the workload if you ever have to go partial panel -- G5 with the extra battery.

The g5 also has its own internal backup battery in case the panel goes dark and can function as an HSI, as well as an AHRS. also has a built in gps.

I've got a full glass panel with a IBBS backup battery and I still stuck one in just for the backup battery redundancy.

Also even though the face is square, everything behind the screen is round and it fits in a standard round instrument hole.

Dynon and the other s may have the same features, but I'm just familiar with the Garmin.

See above especially if it is a back-up to a diferent type of flight display. A second electrical power source (back-up battery works) is essential IMO.

I'd also take a Dynon D3 portable over the old school stuff. This associated rabbit hole goes deep.

The meant time to failure for the aforementioned beats the snot out of anthing that relied on a vacuum pump or electric gyro.

You'll get a ton of opinions here. Plenty of good options.

Last edited:
Opposite of everything else

Despite a full Dynon HDX suite in my airplane, I wanted "as separate as possible" of a backup instrument. So, I elected for a G5. Tied only to the rest of the airplane via 2 power wires.

I guess it would still be susceptible to a failure via voltage spike anomalies through my electrical system, but I'd hope the crowbar shuts that down... other than that with its backup battery, its internal ADAHRS etc, it's on its own.

If I had gone with a G3x panel, I'd have used a Dynon D10A. My logic is to keep any failures across the Canbus or Skyview network, or ADAHR failure isolated.

Same here. There’s a lot not to like about Garmin, but a G5 running on its backup battery made my life much much easier when my panel went belly up at night on an IFR flight.

The G5 offers a ton of practical backup gadgetry for the money.

I don't even like Garmin - but I have a G5 in my panel for this.

G5

Another for the G5. I just finished my IFR rating, using the G5 for the backup made things very easy, almost like cheating!!!! I’m a Garmin lover and cant imagine trying to fly IFR on steam gauges:D

Don't discount the GI 275. It does everything the G5 does and then some!

-Marc

Last edited:
Standby Instruments

I’m about to build an IFR glass panel for my -8. I’ll preface with this: I have had a career of 121 operational experience but have always been and continue to be a reluctant, single engine ga IMC flier, or even VMC at night. Especially as I get older :)

With that I’m kinda considering an old school "partial panel” backup. I tend to go with the philosophy that, if I have it I wont need it. And no, I still will not plan to fly into low vis, crappy wx.

It’s just that I have had a crazy history of failures, and not all attributable to me the operator.

With limited panel space, I would like to find room for independent

1) Airspeed
2) Altitude
3) VSI
4) Turn coordinator

Anyone in the braintrust aware of any two-in-one, or even three-in-one combinations of the above list?

If you really want to go old school, there is plenty of room if you lay out your panel well and use small instruments.

DSC_2832small.JPG

Skylor
RV-8