smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys,
Anybody out there sporting the old school Van's Electric Aileron (movable) Trim tab they formerly sold for the RV4/6/8?
If so, could you post a pic of the installed tab on the aileron with the servo mount and push-rod?
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey

I dont have the Vans setup, but I do have a spare aileron with a trim tab I added. I havent finished it yet, but it is one of my side projects. Long story, but the skin had a small dent in the TE and it cracked when I bent the skin. I made a new aileron, and modified this one with a tab similar to the elevator, but much smaller.

yes

Guys,
Anybody out there sporting the old school Van's Electric Aileron (movable) Trim tab they formerly sold for the RV4/6/8?
If so, could you post a pic of the installed tab on the aileron with the servo mount and push-rod?
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey
Smokey,
My hangar mate has the aileron trim on his -6 from the original build. Couple years ago I bought the "kit" from Vans and retrofitted one on my aileron to match his....both right side not left per instructions. I took pictures of the not so easy retrofit. Gladly share with you. Via email.
Have you checked with Vans to see if they still supply the kit?

I just wanted to follow-up. I dug through my build log. I don't have any good pictures at the moment. I have that aileron in the attic right now, and my paint-booth is blocking the ladder. I'll get some shots when I can get into the attic, but it may be a while.

Actual tab

I made a 5.25" long x 1.5" wide tab on the inboard side of the aileron.
Servo mounted through aileron spar (at pivot line to keep aileron balanced). Simple 1/8" bent rod to keep it light.

Not flying yet, so no idea how well it'll work.

Pictures here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r37DgAp47HFhOGszjt4xgDWG4u6kSbrh

Finn

(originally intended as part of a poor man's wing leveler)

Guys,
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey

Last edited: