Dave Yost

I'm New Here
I am rolling down the tracks on the -4 Empennage, I have both the vertical and Horizontal framed up (Cleaco?d together) and headed for the jig this week end. Very excited, after a slooooow start, I now have a lot of positive momentum. :D:D

I have had a chance to look at a lot of RV-4?s over the last few months. I must admit, I am a little disappointed with the look of the newer cowling.

I understand the cowl was redesigned due an AD regarding prop hub extensions? Is this correct? Does any body have a link or background on this? Is the older cowl still available? Why do the new cowlings have such shallow intakes vs. the deep and symmetrical intakes on the older one? Could the old intakes be retro fitted to the new cowl?

The taller landing gear legs and pressure recovery wheel pants enhanced the look of the -4, but the intakes on the cowl look like they were ?rushed to market? for lack of a better term.

I also made the mistake of walking around an F1 rocket last week :eek: and now I can?t get the look of that cowl and wheel pant combo out of my mind. The price tag helped me get over it a little, but now I am drawing cowlings on napkins at lunch??..

Cheers Dave

I share your problem with the new cowl versus the old cowl and my friend that got me into building an RV showed me how to do the metal work while I helped him finish his F-1 Rocket. The Rocket I love, but the cost particularly the engine and prop are a little beyond my budget. I am solving my urge for an RV by building an RV-4 Fastback with a Harmon Rocket canopy. The plane looks better with the old fixed pitch cowl, with an F-1 chin scoop. Through my friend, Scott, I got to meet both John Harmon and Mark Frederick who builds the F-1 rocket kits. I purchased a set of John's Harmon rocket plans and the appropriate fuselage parts from him and I was able to purchase an F-1 chin intake scoop from Mark to incorporate into the brand new fixed pitch cowl I found on the Classified section of this web site. If you will send me a personal e-mail address, I will send you a picture of what I am working on with the wings, tail, canopy and cowl installed on the plane. I have not been able to figure out how to post a picture successfully yet on the web site. The picture will show how I have solved my problem with the new style constant speed cowl. [email protected]

I am going to try and post a picture of my airplane with the modified old fixed pitch cowl mocked in place. I really like the fixed pitch cowl look on an RV-4. Especially on an RV-4 fastback. Hope this works. Roger
Roger999