Bartman

Well Known Member
Ok here is my question, I am done with my empennage and about to send Vans the big money for the quickbuild wings and fuselage. Should I go ahead and get the "old" quickbuild (not built from the matched drilled kit) vans has them in stock, or should I wait till the quickbuild kits that are built from the new matched drilled fuselage are coming in from P.I.? I know that most of the fuselage is build so it should not make much difference but Vans says "the New matched drilled fuselage has less parts" and he said that ther are some other advantages over the old not matched drilled fuselage. Thanks for thoughts on this...

My understanding is that there will be virtually no difference at the QB level. Obviously the wings didn't change, only the fuselage. The 'fewer parts' comes in the assembly of the firewall, something that is not left to the QB owner anyway.

QB construction choices

Why not just order the QB wings (no change) and have them shipped to you now and order the newer match-hole QB fuselage for delivery in the spring? The wings and fuselage do not have to be ordered or delivered at the same time. It could take you most of that wait time to finish off the QB wings. Van's will tell you that it only takes about 50 hours to complete the wings but their not counting on landing lights, strobe and position lights, antennas, fine tuning the poor-fitting wingtips or installing any of the other extras you may want.
The "old" QB fuselage does have lots of parts left to fabricate and install. Any reduction in the number of parts is a good thing. Also, match hole construction is substantially faster than the non-match hold process.

Al Thomas
RV-8a
N880AT (reserved)
QB Fuselage

My current plan is to order a new SB fuse before the first of the year. Once it is on gear my plan is to order QB wings. I like to build, but once I get the fuse done I'll be itching to get it in the air sooner. Still, I am thinking 2009 at the earliest.

Old Quickbuild/ new match drill

Thanks for the help. I think what I am going to do is get the QB wings and by the time I am done with the wings Vans will prob have the "New" quickbuild fuselage ...Thanks.... Now what should I do for strobe/position lights and Landing Taxi Lights