Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
You know, when you finish a long-term project like building an airplane, the real problem you have is that empty spot in your life. Oh sure, there's lots of flying, but you're not going to spend four hours every day doing THAT,and you still have that urge to build....

I can't think of anything I'd rather be flying than my -8, so instead of starting a new airplane, I figure that it is going to need a new home....

Here's a picture of the -8 in front of what will one day be it's (and my!) future residence - Lot #6 on the runway at Kestrel Airpark, about 25 miles north of San Antonio! I blame Wade Lively for this....he's the one that turned me on to the available lots. (That and several threads about livign with your airplane...)

kestrellotwithrv80kd.jpg

Here's an aerial view taken by my passenger yesterday - gee, it's handy having an airplane! The big black lines make it really easy to find too :rolleyes:

kestrellotaerialview6yd.jpg

Of course, it's going to be a number of years before I can live (or even build) there, but eventually...hey, in the -8, it's just an hour away from Houston!

Paul

Let's see, that's about 1hr 15min from my home base.

Paul, put in a pool.

Plan on visits :) .

B,
D

Paul,

Congratulations on the new digs. That should be a really nice place to keep your -8. I flew in there several years ago in the Starduster and it was a bit challenging (can't see where you are going in that airplane) but should be a snap in an RV.

There is another RV-8 builder there named Tom. He is an RV-4 driver now, and has a buddy named Ivan who also drives an RV-4. They teamed up to spirit away my hangar mate's RV-4 ahead of last year's hurricane, but never brought it back. :eek: So if you see either one of those characters flying around in a really nice white RV-4, kindly let them know Richard wants his airplane back! :D

Kelly

kasTX said:
Paul,

I flew in there several years ago in the Starduster and it was a bit challenging (can't see where you are going in that airplane) but should be a snap in an RV.

Kelly

It's "interesting" in the -8 as well...the Northwest end is a real ski jump, and when you flare to land on 12, the runway drops away just about as fast as you are descending...makes you wonder if you're going to find the earth before you run out of runway...the "locals" tell me that I'll get used to it, and it tends to keep the riff-raff out... ;)

Paul

Continued Envy!

Paul,

Not only are you flying an 8...I'm working on the empennage, but you are living out my fantasy of residing at an airport.

Congratulations on your lot. As to the runway, I fly out of 52F and have overheard several folks talk about how tough that airport is to fly into. I started there so to me it's just a normal runway so I have to smile when I hear the people talk. I'm sure you will get accustomed to your new runway and eventually it will just seem normal. :eek:

The good thing is most everywhere else them seems a breeze. :cool:

Again..Congratulations. I hope to catch up soon.

Donald Prater
RV-8 Empennage
N-284DP (Reserved)