rjmurphy1

I'm New Here
Couple of rookie questions: do all kit rivets have to be cut to length? Since my kit parts were stored for years in the basement and the garage, how do I conduct a detailed check for corrosion? Is it visually obvious ? White powder on the aluminum surface is that what I'm looking for? Thanks

Any modern kit from Van's will have many different rivet lengths included, and the plans call out the length to use in every location.

Corrosion should be visually obvious, but if you don't know what to look for, just about anyone in your local EAA chapter could probably help you. You are a regular member of your local EAA chapter, right?

You will get bags of different size rivets. So you should not have to cut the rivets to length.

As for the corrosion question, yes, it should be visible to the naked eye. Light corrosion will look like frost on a window. Heavy corrosion will look like white powder built up on the aluminum.

Light corrosion can, sometimes, be buffed out.

Google "aluminum corrosion aircraft" and click on Images to get an idea what to look for.