Tal S

I'm New Here
I own old Lycoming O-320 E2D with 850 hours, unknown maintenance history or log book. :confused:
I know It didn't work for 5 years.
What is my options in case I dont want to put allot of $$$ ?
Experimental overhaul kit ?
Is it possible to sale it ?
how match it worth ?

Thanks for your help
Tal

I have an E2D on my RV-4. My recommendations woulld be to overhaul it.

I would do it myself if I was you. Sam Buchanan's web site has a great article on how he did his and it inspired me to do so as well.

On an engine of that vintage the CAM is probably worn or has corrosion on it as that is an area of Lycomings that is not well lubricated.

The overhaul process is basically:

Take the engine apart.

Send major components (Case, Crank, CAM, etc) to places that will bring them back to spec by grinding, etc.

Buy new pistons and consider new cylinders depending on their state.

Put it back together.

It really doesn't take that long and you will learn a lot about what one could argue is the most vital part of your machine that is prone to wearing out.

I added new pistons that raised the compression ratio making my E2D something else that puts out 160hp probably.

The lycoming engines are simple beasts and if you take this approach your will end up with an engine that will outlast your ownership of the plane.

Budget $10-15K for parts, etc. You might do it for far less.

Buy the overhaul manual and parts list and follow the directions...

Of course asking around for help will lead you to lots of people more knowledgeable than me and they might save you more in the process.

I have an E2D on my RV-4. My recommendations woulld be to overhaul it.

I would do it myself if I was you. Sam Buchanan's web site has a great article on how he did his and it inspired me to do so as well.

Thanks for the plug and glad your overhaul went well! :)

Here is a direct link to the E2D rebuild:

http://thervjournal.com/overhaul.htm

The E2D is a very solid engine that is a great choice for a fixed-pitch, 160 hp RV.

Last edited:
Richard,
Thanks for your replay
Where can I buy parts for the engine ?
Do you know which place can do the grinding and cleaning work on the major parts ?
Tal

There are a lot of places that can refurb parts. I forget offhand where I sent mine but they were in Tulsa. The redid the case, ground all the rods, and sold me a reground crank after mine proved bad.

For new parts any Lycoming parts distributor will sell them to you (check Lycoming web site for listing) but I bought most of mine from ECI as they make PMA parts and are usually cheaper. You can order online from them.

Sam mentions the place he got his parts refurbed on his web site and that is the same place I sent mine. Google should help in this regard.

Divco or Ney for case machining work, Either new cylinder kits from Lyc or ECi (I like Lycs now that superior's gone) OR overhaul at a local shop. depending on who's local, some shops have the capability of doing NDT work in house... could be cheaper than shipping it somewhere.