Robert M

Well Known Member
Hi gang! Anybody got any idea as to how long it might take for 8 year old fuel tank sealant to setup in 40 degree (average) temperatures?

Thanks,

Sealant

If it was frozen, probably ok. At 40, a long time. I would mix a test batch before using.

Forever? :)

8 years? Wouldn't trust anything that old unless it's Scotch.

when I closed up my tanks, it was goowey gummy for weeks......

I am using this old sealant for the tiny bead needed to seal the forward bottom edge of a tip up canopy so nothing critical being done. It will be covered with fiberglass and the fiberglass will only be touching a very small (approx. 1/8") strip. I have heat guns and space heaters trying to get the temp up and possibly get the cure to speed up.

I've got some (actual Proseal brand) that has a ~10 year old date on it, but it's a 'new' container that I've kept in the freezer the entire time. I just used some for a minor project & it took 2-3 days to cure in temps ranging from low 40's to low 60's (during the day when I had the heat on in the shop). The last small batch I mixed (spread on the inside of a fairing intended to be a scuffing protector) was mixed a bit light on the activator, & never cured until I rubbed more activator into the surface. Note that in that case, I was just filling the weave in the fiberglass fairing.

Charlie

I've got some (actual Proseal brand) that has a ~10 year old date on it, but it's a 'new' container that I've kept in the freezer the entire time. I just used some for a minor project & it took 2-3 days to cure in temps ranging from low 40's to low 60's (during the day when I had the heat on in the shop). The last small batch I mixed (spread on the inside of a fairing intended to be a scuffing protector) was mixed a bit light on the activator, & never cured until I rubbed more activator into the surface. Note that in that case, I was just filling the weave in the fiberglass fairing.

Charlie

I have more activator. Might give that a try - can't hurt.

REVELATION! I left the heat off over night again - safety first. Gave it a touchy/feely this morning (2 days after application) and the sealant is no longer tacky! Hmmmmm. I can still feel a little movement but, as I understand, this sealant is supposed to remain pliable. I'm gonna pull up the tape and paper surrounding the sealant to check my (un)handy work.