MikeJ 7A

I have an unopened gallon of "Alumiprep 33" and one of "Alodine 1201".
They were purchased about 5 years ago. The look "OK" I guess.
Does anyone know if there is a shelf life for these items?

Brand is: Hankel Surface Technologies

Thanks!
MikeJ

MikeJ 7A said:
I have an unopened gallon of "Alumiprep 33" and one of "Alodine 1201".
They were purchased about 5 years ago. The look "OK" I guess.
Does anyone know if there is a shelf life for these items?

Brand is: Hankel Surface Technologies

Thanks!
MikeJ

Mike

I've been using my Alumiprep for over four years!. Works fine. As for the Alodine, if it hasn't been exposed to light it should be OK. I would take a piece of alclad and test it. If it takes more than five minutes to convert, i.e. shows a golden color, I would not use it. My suggestion would be to buy the alodine in poweder form. This way it ends up about two bucks per gallon instead of thirty five..

Peter

Keep in mind that ALCLAD is a micro thin layer of protective coating. Alodine will not do its thing on alclad. It's normally used for the areas that the alclad has been stripped away..or other areas freshly worked. Use some scotch brite and scuff a piece of aluminum. Then try the alodine. If you don't, you may sit waiting all day without results.

Normally Alodine works good for a long time. Temperature, light and purity affect its ability to burn the metal...or convert it. Just give it a try.

I've never used Alumiprep but I wonder if it's similar to caustic soda (CS). We used the stuff in big tanks. We prepped the aluminum in the CS and then dipped in the Alodine for added protection. There's also another process using Deoxydine. It etches and cleans the surface prior to Alodine application.
The Alodine will not work well unless the surface is clean. The best method to use for alodining small parts is to hit em with some green scotchbrite prior to application. That will give you that nice even gold color you want.

The powder stuff is great. Just keep it away from MEK!!!!!!! I had a batch blow up in my face one day. I thought the jug was full of water but some guy dumped mek in it. I added the powder. 3 seconds later a 3 foot flame shot out of the jug, burning the hair of my mustache and eyebrows. Its highly reactive and very potent.

JM -experimentalrv7.com

Last edited:
El Dorado Chemical

www.eldoradochem.com

It's called Dorado Kote 1 (the non-chromate version is DK-7). 5 lbs was about $84 before shipping. 5lbs is probably enough to do 2 airplanes. Don't know if they'll sell you less than that.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Be VERY CAREFUL

Alodine and most related chomate chemicals for aluminum contain hexavalent chromium.

http://www.sen.ca.gov/sor/policy/natural_resources/NATRES92001.HTML

Before the August 2000 release of the Julia Roberts? movie Erin Brockovich, almost no one had heard of hexavalent chromium or chromium VI, chromium 6, chrome 6 or CR6, as it is also called. This form of chromium is extremely toxic and is known to be carcinogenic when inhaled.

Huh...

JM says:
Keep in mind that ALCLAD is a micro thin layer of protective coating. Alodine will not do its thing on alclad. It's normally used for the areas that the alclad has been stripped away..or other areas freshly worked. Use some scotch brite and scuff a piece of aluminum. Then try the alodine. If you don't, you may sit waiting all day without results.

Huh... Alclad is a thin layer, but it's a thin layer of pure aluminum.
Etch and alodine works well on Alclad sheets, and it is the recommended preparation before primer/paint. It's the Mil-Spec method for aerospace painting... Check any of the aircraft polyurethane paints systems application data.

Done it many times....

You should check facts before posting!

gil in Tucson