Martin Sutter

Well Known Member
A group of three Texas RV's will be spending a week in the Kelowna, BC area in July. Anybody have experience with the Kelowna or Penticton airports regarding friendly FBO's, ramp fees and accessibility. We will be parked there for a week while we spend time in the area.

Thanks for any insight offered.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

My preference in the Okanagan valley is Vernon. Lots of GA activity including quite a few RVs. Gas is reasonable (for Canada) at about C$1.75 per litre.
Hard surface tie-down is available for $12/night, though I couldn't see too many spots. Might be able to arrange for grass tie down if needed.
Vernon is a nice town with loads of lake sports, golf, skiing and other outdoors stuff.
It is about a 45 minute drive north of Kelowna.

Kelowna is no longer very GA friendly. Aeroshell charges $2.30 per litre for 100LL. Tie down is very hard to find and pricey. The FBO charges $35 minimum for open ramp parking with no tie-down. There are a very few spots near the flying club for about $14. Maybe there is a parking solution that I didn't find - I didn't try too hard since Vernon works for me.
On the other hand they have pretty good airline service, car rental on site and a precision approach.
The city is much bigger with the usual amenities, and all the same activities available as Vernon.

Can't give any opinion on Penticton, but I'm sure a local will chime in.

The whole valley is well worth a visit. Don't forget the wineries!

I have tied down in the grass in penticton. I do not remember any fees. It was about 3 years ago. I was the only one on the ramp if I remember. Lots of room. I got a rental car from the Fbo there. Terrible reading about Kelowna. I had planned to go there one day.

I have stayed overnight at Kelowna, Penticton and Oliver. I plan a trip overnight to Vernon this summer.

Kelowna used to be a good place to fly in to, but the corporate jets from the oil patch have taken over and the Aeroshell center there is now indifferent to small aircraft. There is parking elsewhere if you look carefully. Fuel at Aeroshell is expensive and they charge a service fee.

Penticton is living in two worlds. The nice terminal there has rental cars, but the only tie downs are at the south end near the boarded up hotel. There is a parts shop there (Demel Aircraft) if you need stuff.

Oliver, which is south of Penticton is fantastic. The airport is right in town, a short (1 block) walk to hotels, restaurants, shopping and wine shops. Better yet, there are lots of airplane folks hanging out, including RV folks who are always willing to lend a hand. A small clubhouse is next to the pumps for relaxing and bio breaks.

A tip about Oliver: try to find a tie-down between the pumps and the hangars unless you want your airplane washed for free by the sprinkler system. This is not a good thing because the alkaline water leaves spots that are hard to remove. Use good gust locks because convective activity sometimes builds in the afternoons. An RV-7 builder, Lorne Greene lives nearby. Remember: all approaches to uncontrolled airports in Canada usually require a cross-wind midfield arrival, and there is rising terrain on both sides of the valley. Not a big deal if you are ready for it.

Osoyoos, which is south of Oliver, has a great town, but the airport is about a mile from town and not secured. No fuel, minimal tie-downs and likely to be occupied by drag racers or squatters camping on the airport grounds*. OK for a few hours and the beaches are fabulous, but triy walking up the hill in 95 degree heat, whew!

*Note: I lobbied for the paving of this airport several years ago when I had a condo in Osoyoos. Although paved, there is no security fencing, tie downs or other facilities, so fruit pickers often camp on the grounds. They have started brush fires in the past. The issue with drag racers is that they may be racing on the strip without the appropriate notams-- it's best to call town hall before hand and ask if the airport has been cleared of cars and undesirables-- that will give them the hint!

your choice may be 'activity' based......

A group of three Texas RV's will be spending a week in the Kelowna, BC area in July. Anybody have experience with the Kelowna or Penticton airports regarding friendly FBO's, ramp fees and accessibility. We will be parked there for a week while we spend time in the area.
Martin

Boy, we make it sound like the Okanagan is a real hornets' nest eh?? :)

all comments being very valid, you might narrow your choices by activity.
I think the south has the most wineries and golf courses per square kilometre in the world, and the north has more varied attractions, and a bit cooler temps.

The traffic can be heavy in the summer, although most of the valley is 4-laned, the towns are choke-points, so you may wish to hop from one to the other for the day by RV!
weather can be a bit Texaslike...with cool nites, but hazy days, with lots of Cu on the ridges, and possible thunderstorms in the late pm and evening. keep an eye on the forest fire situation, as it can make VFR lousy when half of the sage in Washington is ablaze!
the good news is, I think you can get from the border to Salmon arm VFR about 330 days a year.
If you Google the flying clubs, you'll get some good contacts to confirm and arrange overnite parking for your birds.
we can accommodate a 'couple' or two in our basement suite in West Kelowna, but are :35 from the Kelowna airport, and :50 from Penticton by road.
PM for more discussion if you like.
oh, and that saying that BC stands for 'bring Cash' is just a myth.

we take major credit cards as well! :)

Oliver, which is south of Penticton is fantastic. The airport is right in town, a short (1 block) walk to hotels, restaurants and shopping. Better yet, there are lots of airplane folks hanging out, including RV folks who are always willing to lend a hand. A small clubhouse is next to the pumps for relaxing and bio breaks. Last four digits of the elt freq gets you on the field and in to the club house.

A tip about Oliver: try to find a tie-down between the pumps and the hangars unless you want your airplane washed for free by the sprinkler system. This is not a good thing because the alkaline water leaves spots that are hard to remove. Use good gust locks because convective activity sometimes builds in the afternoons. An RV-7A builder, Lorne Green lives nearby. Remember: all approaches to uncontrolled airports in Canada usually require a cross-wind midfield arrival, and there is rising terrain on both sides of the valley. Not a big deal if you are ready for it.

Oliver has an airport van ($20 per day) which could be used to drive to Penticton to pick up a rental car, or stay in the South, keep the van for the week at $20 per day plus fuel and enloy the 6 area golf courses and scores of wineries with their affiliated premium restaurants. There are no tie down fees. Fuel is $1.75L (+-). If one decides to stay in the South, it's only a half hour drive to Penticton and an other hour in to Kelowna where you will find more of an urban experience. Keep us South Okanagan folks in the loop about your travels. We may be able to get together for a BarbeQue....OK not a Texas Barbeque. At least a summer grill of steak or Chicken.:eek:

Thanks for all the great input so far, any additional information is greatly appreciated. I should mention that we have rented a house above the lake north of West Kelowna for the week and we will be flying in from across the border (from Johnson Creek, ID that morning) so we need to clear customs somewhere.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

Martin, you can clear Canada customs at both Penticton or Kelowna S.O.P. apply. Kelowna is the 10th busiest airport in Canada now. I took my flight training there 18 years ago, it's much busier now. On the plus side Kelowna is a great place to gang out in the summer! Penticton is less busy and about the same driving distance to West Kelowna where you are lodging. Good choice on a vacation destination! If you fly over Oliver (CAU3), My home is the large grey roof on the gluide slope of 36. pool in the back yard. High rez google works well too. :D PM me for any other info, glad to help make your stay memorable! Drop in I'll show you and yours my 7a project, five years in the making!

Last edited: