ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
So last night I had time for only one "quick" job and I chose to install my oil filter. I have the standard Lycoming adapter which points the filter aft. I also have the shorter style oil filter and the engine is an O-320.

Well, it didn't turn out to be that quick. Try as I may, I couldn't get a socket or crow's foot to fit on the filter nut and also have room for my torque wrench.

What I ended up doing was using a combination wrench and a fish scale to apply the correct torque. That actually was very easy but I was just wondering, what is the "normal" thing to do here?

I also heard that the filters tend to be stubborn come removal time. Per the instructions on the filter, I used a film of oil on the rubber gasket just like I do on a car. There is also an option to use some DC grease. I would guess the grease is a better choice?

Thanks

Last edited:
My friend has a special oil filter torque wrench that he loves. I have not had to change mine yet but hopefully will soon....Sure hope he lets me borrow it :)

08-07023.jpg

There are also options like this:

52279.JPG

12-01638.jpg

12-00792.jpg

10-03929.jpg

Last edited:
You should use a torque wrench.
BUT

You can turn the filter with Dow-4 compound
on the gasket until it just makes contact,
mark the filter and then turn it between 1/2
and 3/4 of a turn more.
I have not had any leaks doing it this way
and can also easily remove the filter.

Tom

From Rosie: Concur - I've used this method for 62 oil changes :)

Last edited by a moderator:
What Tom and Rosie said....

....no real need for a torque wrench here. Be sure to start the engine before putting the cowl back on to double-check for oil leaks.

Best,

Best,

Avery sells one like the pic that Brantel posted next to the Tempest filter. It may not be the cheapest option but it sure makes the job of torquing the oil filter simple.

Oil Filter Torque Wrench

I have tried many options on our small fleet (3) of Lycoming equipped club airplanes, but this one (one of the ones pictured above) is my favorite:

http://www.skygeek.com/ks5639.html

Not cheap, but they do have a service that you can mail it to for a torque check if you care about such things. Combine it with some ziplock bags for a clean oil change.

Ed

Not a Bad Idea to Use a Torque Wrench

Guys like Pierre who've done hundreds of filter changes have a "calibrated" wrist. For the rest of us, a few dollars spent on something as important as proper filter installation is a good investment. I'd disagree with the wrench ad in that you should never use a measuring device as a removal tool, unless you're certain the break-away torque is well within the limits of the device.
Terry, CFI
RV-9A N323TP

Contact plus a half turn. No more else it's hard to remove 50 hours from now. I use a 1" box wrench. Swipe the gasket with fresh oil before install.

I use a fish scale and a box wrench. That size wrench is about 1 foot long, so no conversion is necessary. Make sure the fish scale is about 90 degrees from the wrench.

Aren't we safety-tying the filter anyway? As with Pierre and Rosie's comments, and within reason, why the need to be so concerned about torque? Just curious.

Last edited:
I just happen to have an adapter that the filter would spin onto. I placed the adapter into the vise, oiled the gasket and spun it on to the adapter till the gasket made contact.

I then made a red mark on the top of the filter, took my torque wrench and torqued the filter to the value printed on the filter. Next, I looked for the red mark. It had moved 3/4 around the filter.

Using just engine oil on the filter, I have never had a problem removing the filter with the same band wrench that I have used on my FORDS for the past 42 years.

1. Oil the gasket with new engine oil.
2. Spin on filter till the gasget makes contact.
3. Turn the filter 3/4 turn more.
4. Safety wire.
5. Run motor and check for leaks.

Last edited:
Made this in 10 minutes.

You're gonna like this hi tech solution. A piece of steel cut to the fit the oil filter at one end, and a socket extension welded at the other.

Holding the torque wrench in a straight line with the steel adapter, 12lbs of torque at the socket extension = 16lbs at the filter.

oilfilterextensionwrenc.jpg

Last edited:
Aren't we safety-tying the filter anyway? As with Pierre and Rosie's comments, and within reason, why the need to be so concerned about torque? Just curious.

I had a boat once that had a cheap oil filter fail while I was driving it I was amazed at how fast all the oil blew out of that engine causing damage. It took less than 10 seconds.

The torque value is there right on the filter and I want to do it right.

Thanks for all the advice. That Skygeek wrench is slick. I think I might get one of those after a while. But, on the other hand, the combination wrench with the fish scale worked pretty well too.

I use...

I bought one of the oil filter wrenches with preset torque, but for years I did it by "feel" with no problems.

However, as from time to time we run across a special application torque situation, such as prop bolts, I decided to buy this torque wrench adapter that will work on any open or box end wrench. It's a bit pricey (got mine on Amazon) but what the heck.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0380/

I bought one of the oil filter wrenches with preset torque, but for years I did it by "feel" with no problems.

However, as from time to time we run across a special application torque situation, such as prop bolts, I decided to buy this torque wrench adapter that will work on any open or box end wrench. It's a bit pricey (got mine on Amazon) but what the heck.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0380/

Ahhh, it took me a bit to figure out how this worked. So it clamps onto your combination or Allen wrench and then allows you to attach your torque wrench directly via the square hole in it. Neat idea. There is truly a tool out there for every purpose I guess.

The torque value is there right on the filter and I want to do it right.

The Kelly Filters say "Torque to XX ft lbs or 3/4 turn beyond gasket contact" right on the side of the can, so I figure either is acceptable technique according to the manufacturers instructions. Have never had a problem with the 3/4 turn method and safety wire. Louise brought one of the fancy oil filter wrenches into our combined tool box when we joined up, and I occasionally use it if it's handy - and get the filter to exactly the same spot. I guess the filter engineers have probably done the experiment too....

Paul

Oil Filter Install

There are numerous ways that everyone uses to apply just the right amount of torque to an oil filter during installation. Whichever method you choose, always remember to follow the instructions on the oil filter that says to use DOW DC-4 COMPOUND... using oil instead of DC-4 will cook the oil onto the oil filter gasket and onto the flange that the filter is mounted to causing them to become sticky (or glued together). DC-4 will not cook and you will ALWAYS have an easier time removing the oil filter from the flange next time. I always use DC-4, EVERY time I change the oil, DC-4 is worth the investment. ;)

Good luck.

Victor