IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
OK, so Stein talked me into moving my radio stack to the left, and that means I'm gonna have to trim off some of the center fuselage rib. I've already removed and reinforced some from the left and right ribs (but I think they are likely stronger than the original).

I'm just a bit concerned about the center rib since it is obviously more structural with the big piece of angle, doubler plate and windscreen/roll bar attach point that Van designed in.

Here is the pic showing what I'll have to remove:

The rack shown is for the audio panel (mounted 2.0 inches down from the top of the panel). You can see in the picture that I'll have to remove some of the flange of the rib. I won't have to touch the angle or doubler plate, so it is my thought that I'm not removing any strength. I could drop the radios about 0.5 inch and clear the rib, but then the transponder is getting awful close to the throttle quadrant....

Below the audio panel is a GNS430W that may just intersect the flange of the rib again, this time on the forward side of the sub-panel.

So, experts, will removing some of the flange of rib be acceptable?

Yes....

...many of those have been cut way more than you show. Simply rivet a doubler or piece of 1/2" angle back, parallel to the new edge.

The best,