prkaye

Well Known Member
My engine came from Aerosport with this black module that I think is part of the ignition system ("ignition coil"?) mounted on the top of the engine throught he crankcase bolts. As you can see from the picture, because it is mounted near the back of the engine (along the top), it is directly in the way of the baffling aft center support bracket. Will it be OK for me to move this little black unit forward by about 5 inches (to the crankcase bolt halfway along the top of the engine)?

Last edited:
Phil,

Those are the ignition coils for a Lightspeed Ignition, just as you suspected. I looked at Klaus' website, and there are pictures of various installations here:

http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/Products/IgnitionInstall.htm

Some of the pix show the coils mounted forward of the baffles, on the crankcase (or so it appears).

Mine (bought-flying RV-6/IO-540 with plenum) are mounted on the firewall, and the spark plug leads penetrate the baffles. Looks like there are several ways to skin the cat, but if you want to call Klaus to make sure, his number is (805) 933-3299, and his e-mail is in the "contact" section of the above site.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Bob

Cool, thanks guys. Looks like with a small clearance notch cut into the baffling centre bracket, I can get away with moving the ignition module forward just one crankcase bolt position (i.e. not all the way to where the hook is, but between where it is now and where the hoook is).

I actually made a doubler for the bracket which also acted as a mounting bracket for the coil and raised it up enough I didn't have to notch and got better clearance for the coil (remember, you have to attach wires to the coil). You don't want it so forward that the lifting ring interferes with the plug wires or so high that it would be too close to the cowl. On a related note, I found it handy to make my own plug wires using parts from Summit Racing, as the supplied ones did not work well once I repositioned the coil.

Here is a baffle front and rear view

method that worked. Mounted on a bracket which moves the module forward. Your choice.
11runi0.jpg

11uvvp0.jpg

second try at inserting image

//http://profile.imageshack.us/user/rionbourgeois/images/detail/#136/lsicoilmountingbracketol8.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, thanks guys. Looks like with a small clearance notch cut into the baffling centre bracket, I can get away with moving the ignition module forward just one crankcase bolt position (i.e. not all the way to where the hook is, but between where it is now and where the hoook is).
You got it! That's right where mine is. Just tilt the lifting eye (hook) fwd a little and things will fit great.