GAHco

Well Known Member
Several listers have said things like..
"I haven't bought anything yet but have looked on your site a couple of times and had a really hard time finding the screws I wanted."

I hear you Loud, but not clear.

I will be out of town until the 18th or 19th of Oct.

I know you are all trying to be helpful, but I really need actual info other than "it is too difficult". :confused:

You may very well be right, but I also have customers that call me to tell me they love our site because we offer more tech info that helps them select their desired product. I want it to work well for as many as possible.

Because you may be new to us....Please start at the upper left of our site, Website Tips / Overview or See Link Below.

You may send your critique in a PM if you like. I appreciate your informed opinions. I will be able to get back to you sometime after the 19th.

I am cleaning my inbox and appreciating that you cared enough to help.

Well, I'll start. I'm no website designer, but just some comments that come to mind...

The only way to find anything is to navigate to the page which may have the items you need, then go through drop-down lists (which tend to be cryptic unless you know the full code for the item). Instead, you should have pages with lists of items (at least by category of product type)...e.g.,

Let's say I want white 20 gauge tefzel wire. To find that on your current website, I navigate via a list on the left side to Wire and Cable under Electrical. Then, all I have to work with is a drop-down with some codes, and I have to try to figure out which one I need. Once I know that it's M22759 that I need, and not something called 31, or M17 or what have you, then I have to decode the three numbers on the *second* drop-down, to try and figure out which item I need it is. Finally, trying 6 or 7 different /16-20-X numbers, I find that it's /16-20-9. Whew.

Much better would be a page with several *descriptive* headings (and maybe some images) for what each of these classes of wire is, one of which would be "Tefzel M22759". Click on that, and I should have a nice grid which shows all the gauges and colors, and I could go directly to 20 gauge white.

Don't get me wrong...I *love* the tech info, have ordered quite a few things from you (and recommend your site to others all the time) and I use your little blue book constantly, but finding items on your site is very kludgy. It's like the website got stuck in 1990's Windows interface ****, with the only widgets being droplists and filelists.

Others will have more (and better) suggestions, but my biggest piece of advice would be to spend some money to hire a true web designer to clean it up and make it easier to navigate.

Beyond that...you have an *awesome* inventory, and your service has been top-notch.