dlomheim

Well Known Member
Eugene and I got after the "3" a bit this morning and afternoon and we got most of the old stuff off the firewall, and then started pulling out old electrical stuff as well as taking of the horizontal (and elevators) as well as vertical stab/rudder. While laying under the horizontal stab to take out the elevator bolts, I noticed that the entire trailing edge of one horizontal was all pop rivets! Is that how the "3" plans show it was supposed to be built???

Eugene was able to find some Buna N o-rings for our antique master cylinders, so hopefully they will be sealed up nice and tight now and not leak when the time comes to use them! I dropped off the crankshaft, camshaft, and lifters at A.S.S. in Tulsa and all checked out good except the crankshaft. It is an O-235 crank (is that what the GPU's came std with originally?); and it the technician said it looked like it was wobbling a quite a bit. He said all the main journals were good and it was only messed up on the front; so my first thought is that gyroscopic loads caused by the aerobatics the original owner did must have really loaded it up and caused the wobbled wear??? At least from what I've read there is a huge difference in the beefiness of the O-320 crankshaft from bearing area vs. the O-235.

Anyway, the crank can be made round again for a price and .030 over size bearings will have to be used. I should receive a full report on all the various pieces by this next Thursday, and once we have that information we will be able to plan our next next steps in making it airworthy...

Blue Skies

Doug Lomheim
1993 RV-3B (under renovation)
RV-9A Mazda 13B / FWF, etc. (on hold)

Last edited: