WingsOnWheels

Well Known Member
Or make that flappin' confused..

Model: RV-6x
Reference: FL-606 Assembly

Background:

During assembly of the Flap, the inboard end of the flap spar is cut at an angle (works out to ~83 degrees: ~ -7 from vertical).

FL-606A is made from a 1.5 x 2 x 3 in bit of angle and attaches to the face of the flap spar at the inboard end. Nothing is specified in the builders manual or called out plans, but the plans appear to have the face of the angle at the same ~83 degrees and flush with the end of the spar (which makes sense).

FL-606C is fabbed from .75 x .75 angle and is attached inside of the lower flange on the inboard rib.

FL-606B is .125 sheet and attaches across 606A and C

Issue:

So here is what is causing my issue. If the flange on 606A is at 83 degrees and the flange on 606C is at 90 degrees, how is 606B going to sit flush across both these surfaces? Did I make a mistake by matching the angle of 606A with the cut of the spar? Am I somehow supposed to bend 606C to match the slope of the spar? Something is not adding up here.

Example picture: Note - the forward/aft taper of 606C hasn't been finalized or the edges deburred, but I think you get the jist of where I am going with this.

cimg2993.jpg

Yes... squeeze the 606C angle

Or make that flappin' confused..

Model: RV-6x
Reference: FL-606 Assembly

Background:

During assembly of the Flap, the inboard end of the flap spar is cut at an angle (works out to ~83 degrees: ~ -7 from vertical).

FL-606A is made from a 1.5 x 2 x 3 in bit of angle and attaches to the face of the flap spar at the inboard end. Nothing is specified in the builders manual or called out plans, but the plans appear to have the face of the angle at the same ~83 degrees and flush with the end of the spar (which makes sense).

FL-606C is fabbed from .75 x .75 angle and is attached inside of the lower flange on the inboard rib.

FL-606B is .125 sheet and attaches across 606A and C

Issue:

So here is what is causing my issue. If the flange on 606A is at 83 degrees and the flange on 606C is at 90 degrees, how is 606B going to sit flush across both these surfaces? Did I make a mistake by matching the angle of 606A with the cut of the spar? Am I somehow supposed to bend 606C to match the slope of the spar? Something is not adding up here.

Example picture: Note - the forward/aft taper of 606C hasn't been finalized or the edges deburred, but I think you get the jist of where I am going with this.

...gently in a vice to get the 3 degrees extra bend you need to make it all fit together well.

...gently in a vice to get the 3 degrees extra bend you need to make it all fit together well.

Thank you sir! That is what I assumed had to happen, but any time that word "assume" goes through my head it is time to ask someone who "knows".