Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Pierre Smith started a great thread the other day about looking things over very carefully ?under the hood? when he found a burned fuel line. "Sprucemoose" pointed out his broken exhaust hanger ? and was echoed by several others with the same problem (we all have them eventually). So last night I drained the oil on the Val for her 50 hour oil change (1300.1 hours on the clock!), and today did my usual inspection. I am systematic, going system by system, end to end, and do this every time I change oil, so when I find something new, it generally happened in the last fifty hours. But yes, I am human, and miss things, so some things get a little more time to wear.

Today?s findings:

1) A broken exhaust hangar on the cross-brace (luckily, I got several from Larry V. at LOE last fall when I had a broken one ? it?s good to have spares!).

2) My crankcase breather hose ? the 90 degree radiator hose that goes from the engine to the aluminum tube vent line down the firewall ? has finally swelled and gotten mushy to the point it needs replacement. Not a big deal if it fails, but very messy and unsightly. That gets replaced!

3) The big one ? my primer line broke just before it gets to the ?T?-fitting at the back of the engine. Yup ? it has the required strain relief loops, and looks just like they do on certified planes I?ve owned, but it broke right at the braze. Fortunately, I never use the primer ? the last time was probably when I tested it in Phase One ? and it is now capped at the valve and the engine. If I was living way up north, I might restore it, but we just don?t need it here.​

I think the message is that when you get up past halfway to the nominal TBO, a lot of mischief can appear under the cowl in a short time. I definitely endorse very thorough inspections with each oil change ? no pulling just the top cowl for me! I almost like the mystery oil seep that I?ve had pretty much since the engine was new. It forces me to clean up the little bits of oil here and there, which forces me to put my hands on lots of places in the engine bay. Good for inspection ? shake, rattle, and roll!

Paul

Good call Paul.
I decided to do the same after reading about Pierre semi accidental finding about his fuel line. Luckily, every thing seems to be in order, or at least I couldn't find any thing of a concern but there is only 300+ hours on this engine and things are relatively new. Nevertheless, I feel better to have had a second look.

Yep!

Two of us cast our eyes over everything we can every 50 hours.

Last one we found was the alternate air fittings had broken free again from the airbox. Big fat POP RIVETS are in this time and washers. Next will be a ring and small bolts!

DB:cool:

Today?s findings:

2) My crankcase breather hose ? the 90 degree radiator hose that goes from the engine to the aluminum tube vent line down the firewall ? has finally swelled and gotten mushy to the point it needs replacement. Not a big deal if it fails, but very messy and unsightly. That gets replaced!

Paul, try a piece of clear thick wall hose / tubing from ACE HARDWARE. It will stain on the inside over time, but it will not react to oil and get mushy and swell.

One other bit of advice.

I never take passengers along after something like my fuel line change, or after an annual inspection. I've had engine failures and engine misfires from crossed spark plug wires and other squawks.

It was with quite a bit of trepidation that I flew after swapping fuel lines but I did a short 24 mile hop to a friend's for lunch, then the Race-to-Ridgeland and a cross country to near Atlanta, then on the third flight, I took Jenny to Beaufort, S.C. yesterday.

Best,

Check Flights

I never take passengers along after something like my fuel line change, or after an annual inspection. I've had engine failures and engine misfires from crossed spark plug wires and other squawks.

I agree Pierre - that is a REALLY good addition to complete these thoughts!
Besides, it's a great reason for a quick hop around the patch, or to the local practice area to do more extensive "checkouts". I never take a passenger right after I've done much work on the airplane.

I am trying to decide what I want to use to replace the mushy vent line junction. I have some good fuel-proof 6000 hose from ACS on hand, but it kinks if I try to make the 90 degree bend with it. We know what the 90 degree radiator hose does....but it did take it five years and 1300 hours to get ugly - I could just make that a "two-year replacement" item. I was wondering about the "fuel-proof" properties of the clear stuff - will have to research it.

Paul

Flight Test..

The below info is provided as a reference, depending on what maintenance is performed a flight test may be required per the FAR's. Such things as replacing or rigging flt controls, eng/prop change and major alterations/repairs are usually considered flt test items.

? 91.407 Operation after maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration.
(a) No person may operate any aircraft that has undergone maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration unless?

(1) It has been approved for return to service by a person authorized under ?43.7 of this chapter; and

(2) The maintenance record entry required by ?43.9 or ?43.11, as applicable, of this chapter has been made.

(b) No person may carry any person (other than crewmembers) in an aircraft that has been maintained, rebuilt, or altered in a manner that may have appreciably changed its flight characteristics or substantially affected its operation in flight until an appropriately rated pilot with at least a private pilot certificate flies the aircraft, makes an operational check of the maintenance performed or alteration made, and logs the flight in the aircraft records.

(c) The aircraft does not have to be flown as required by paragraph (b) of this section if, prior to flight, ground tests, inspection, or both show conclusively that the maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, or alteration has not appreciably changed the flight characteristics or substantially affected the flight operation of the aircraft.

what size is this hose?

Paul----what size is this hose on your plane? -12? let me know----may be able to fix you up.
tom

I agree Pierre - that is a REALLY good addition to complete these thoughts!
Besides, it's a great reason for a quick hop around the patch, or to the local practice area to do more extensive "checkouts". I never take a passenger right after I've done much work on the airplane.

I am trying to decide what I want to use to replace the mushy vent line junction. I have some good fuel-proof 6000 hose from ACS on hand, but it kinks if I try to make the 90 degree bend with it. We know what the 90 degree radiator hose does....but it did take it five years and 1300 hours to get ugly - I could just make that a "two-year replacement" item. I was wondering about the "fuel-proof" properties of the clear stuff - will have to research it.

Paul

Yup, -12 (3/4"). the standard issue Van's part is from NAPA - it's a 90 degree elbow coolant hose that you cut down to the right length. It would be nice if someone came up with a fuel/oil proof tight 90 degree bend!

Paul,

Most aviation dept's like HD have that clear tubing but mine also has internal glass reinforcements. I have around 300 hrs on it and has worked well, no issues.

how long--

A piece of hose do you need? I have a piece of convoluted stainless braid teflon that is 13.5 inches long. Would work well for your application and look great too!!
Tom

Going back to the breather fitting - does anyone make a 45-degree fitting that could replace the straight fitting? Would certainly make it much easier to get the flexible stuff on and off without arguing with the engine mount (at least in my setup).

greg

Going back to the breather fitting - does anyone make a 45-degree fitting that could replace the straight fitting? Would certainly make it much easier to get the flexible stuff on and off without arguing with the engine mount (at least in my setup).

greg

Yes, it is standard pipe fitting threads....... Take yours to any NAPA auto parts and tell them what you want.