TerryPancake

Well Known Member
What's the trick to remove the pop rivets that Van uses on the QB kit? I am trying to find the "easy" way to get the ones from the bagage floor out.

Thank you.....

1. Push the mandrel out with your 3/32 punch.
2. Drill the head as you would with a normal rivet and snap it off. (pop rivets tend to spin around once the mandrel is out, but usually you can pry them off pretty easy)

Overall, they drill out pretty easy because once the mandrel is driven out, the remaining hole automatically guides your drill down the center of the hole, so enlarging it is not a major issue in myexpeirence.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

The rivets like to spin with the drill. If that happens, use a very light pressure with the drill and it should start cutting. I had to grind several heads off with my trusty, and always handy, dremmel. Those along edges can be grasped from below with a set aff needlenose pliers.

It is aggravating, I concede that.

Jekyll

Pop rivets are a pain in the butt. Avery sells a special tool to drill them out that keeps the rivet from spinning. I'm a little braver than most and just angle the drill slightly and VERY carefully to make sure it's just capturing the rivet and not elongating the hole....I've also trashed a whole lot of parts learning how to do stuff like this (haven't taken any of the classes....everyone should take a class...I'm stupid...don't do what I do).

In short, just buy the stupid tool...it's next on my things to order when I get home from my business trip.

pop rivets

try sharpening a putty knife and aply pressure with the edge against the
OD of the pop rivet or just between the rivet flange and the skin or whatever
is under the rivet head. Some times I have used a ice pik but that may leave
a mark on the surface.

Try using a deburring tool on the top of the rivet head. Like deburring a drilled hole, only go at it more. Once you do that, the wall of the rivet is thinner, due to the countersinking you did, allowing you to punch it through.
Works most of the time for me. Of course, you get the occasional rivet that doesn't want to cooperate!