OceanBob

To comply with this Rule:

14 CFR Part 61.19, Duration of Pilot and Instructor Certificates, states that ?the holder of a paper pilot certificate issued under this part may not exercise the privileges of that certificate after March 31, 2010.?

One problem is the 'Date of Issue" on the new plastic Certificate..!

I earned my Airframe and Powerplant mechanic ratings on 11-30-1967...

So my paper certificate says "Date of Issue 11-30-67"

My new "Date of Issue" says......25 Mar 2010 on the plastic replacement I just received from the FAA.

What's the deal..?

(Same for my 60s and 70s era Pilots and Ground Instructor certificates...25 Mar 2010.)

Do I lose 43 years of experience..?...LOL..just wondering if I should call the Feds tomorrow.

Thanks.

Bob

Actually if you ever had your paper certificate replaced, the date on that would have changed too. That's always been standard practice.
When I moved and replaced my paper certificates, I got all new dates.

The good part is that I got my Pilot certificate before they started using SS #s. When I replaced my A&P and Gnd Instructor certificates, they used my Pilot certificate number. So now everything has the same number.

Last edited:
Nope, they are right!

I know it sucks, but that is the way they did it.
They will not put your original date on them.

Does the paper replacement rule only apply to pilot and instructor certificates, or do A&P's have to replace their paper certificates also?

When I went to the FSDO to get my IA, my A&P license that I had recently replaced showed a date of issue that meant I only had it for a few months. The FAA inspector, laughed and told me to come back when I had more experience. I was pissed. Told him to call Oklahoma. He did and we got worked out. He had no idea that the date of issue was not the "original" date of issue.

They need to put the original date of issue on them IMO!

This whole "date of issue" thing is a bone of contention for both pilots and mechanics. But the reason they do it the way they do is typical government.

FAA legal tells us that, since everything in the FAA is done by "the administrator" the certificates are "signed" by the current FAA administrator. Thus, the date of issuance shown on the certificate has to coincide with that administrator's term of office. We've had this discussion with FAA numerous times and they won't budge. They say that all you have to do to find out when the original certificate was earned is to call FAA Airmen Registration, so what's the problem. Typical legal response!

Oh well... :(

And of course, if you end up in any news reports.......

The reporter will be sure to look you up in the data-base......

For your experience level.

It happened around here recently. Made it look like the owner of a Bonanza had only been flying since last year. He did survive though.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Are you guy from FAA sending your staff to get training here in Chile and start doing things like DGAC does all the time. Please DONT!!!!!

When I went to the FSDO to get my IA, my A&P license that I had recently replaced showed a date of issue that meant I only had it for a few months. The FAA inspector, laughed and told me to come back when I had more experience. I was pissed. Told him to call Oklahoma. He did and we got worked out. He had no idea that the date of issue was not the "original" date of issue.

They need to put the original date of issue on them IMO!

I got my IA a few years ago after having changed to the new plastic certificates. When I went to the FSDO, the inspector had no problem finding my original issue date. I guess I got someone more versed in issue dates as they appear on certificates. :)