bret

Well Known Member
Going to blend in all my tips... Got some down time saving $ for the fuse kit. So I will be looking for tips, ha ha I mean info on different methods.

Well on the Emp, It was just time and elbow grease to make clean smooth lines.
RV-7build997.jpg

For my wing tips, I chose the hidden hinge method. Looks clean, no waves between screws and I can pull them off in 10 seconds. Again just a little time.
RV-7build1056.jpg

the only place I filled on the HS was the fiberglass tip. I didn't fill over the side lightening holes, as I was concerned about how much the tail was going to weigh already.

That brings up another question, I will be painting as I go. Did you have to add any wt. to the elevators to compensate for the weight of the paint.

I didn't have to adjust the weight at all. BUT I planned for it and left the nose of the elevator slightly heavy.

Those look very nice

But I was told by someone who teaches a fiberglass class that over (not too long) time, cracks are likely to form.

Does anyone have any experience that that's not necessarily the case?

Though for the wing tips above, there is already a very nice seam so no cracks to worry about, might have to go the hinge approach there because it came out so nice.

Anyhow, great job, would love to hear from someone that the results will stay that nice for years.

My flaired in elevator tips are now over 10 years old.. No cracks have surfaced (yet)... I used a filler from TAP Plastic called '500 filler flexable plastic'... I tried it because of the wording 'flexable' because I was concerned about cracking also... So far so good...