N282RV

Well Known Member
So Im back at the project more than I have been and making progress....Good so far.

I am putting in the dreaded gear bolts and actually with the current status of the my fuse this really isnt that bad but when the plane is done..:confused:
Anyway I was looking up torque values and I was thinking that these were AN7 size. Well I torqued them up to AN7 value and when I went to torque the real AN7 bolt I realized what I had done...:mad:
So Im pretty sure I should buy new hardware but my question is what value is everyone torqueing these to?
There are so many things in the way of torquing these I do not know how its going to work once in service. Makes me think of adding that avionics access panel in the fwd skin.

Torque

So Im back at the project more than I have been and making progress....Good so far.

I am putting in the dreaded gear bolts and actually with the current status of the my fuse this really isnt that bad but when the plane is done..:confused:
Anyway I was looking up torque values and I was thinking that these were AN7 size. Well I torqued them up to AN7 value and when I went to torque the real AN7 bolt I realized what I had done...:mad:
So Im pretty sure I should buy new hardware but my question is what value is everyone torqueing these to?
There are so many things in the way of torquing these I do not know how its going to work once in service. Makes me think of adding that avionics access panel in the fwd skin.

If you've over torqued any of the bolts---replace them, period. This is one area that you don't want any bolts to fail.

Refer to standard torque tables when you replace them. I don't recall the exact torque values for each size bolt but IIRC they vary from 140-500+ inch pounds depending on the size bolt. These values may be in the construction manual or on the prints too. Check that out.

The outboard bolts are in shear and the inboard ones are in tension

Someone with the torque tables handy can provide the exact values.:)

Torque Values

The Nut and Bolt Torques are listed on page 5-13 of the RV8 Construction Manual. Data is provided from AN3 to AN 10
For example:
AN7 7/16-20 450-500 in pounds 37.5-41.7 Foot pounds

I suppose some of my confusion came from the fact that they are not AN bolts but NASyada yadas. I guess it falls under do something even if its wrong to make progress......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, oh well.