n2b8r

Installed the carbureted O320 with the efii ignition. Starts and runs well but straight n level oil temp is too hot. 235F. I lowered the floors of the intake foyers of the baffle to relieve intake obstruction. That got me down to 210. I measured the size of the exhaust exit port to find it is well more than twice the area of both intakes combined - although the pipes themselves take up a substantial fraction of the exit port. I'm wondering if there's a way to modify the exhaust exhaust port so that it will actually draw air from the low-pressure side of the cowl to encourage flow from the high pressure side? I also wonder if I missing the boat completely and there might be some other way to get more air flowing through the oil cooler.

Thanks in advance for all your contributions.

Jeff H
N377CP kwvi

What oil cooler?

Carl

Carl is correct. The oil cooler and the oil cooler location will all have an effect on oil temperature.

For most of Phase I, I had the oil cooler mounted on the RHS of the firewall with 3" SCAT running to it. I ran at redline oil temp most of the time. This was September 1997 in SoCAL during some of the hottest weather of the year. Moving the oil cooler to behind #4 cylinder lowered oil temp around 35-degrees F.