s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
Does anyone know the proper torque for the oil temp sensor on the o-360-a1a ? I have search the site and my engine install manual with no luck.

Thanks in advance

phelps

I have an IO-375-M1B, and Bart at Aerosport told me that you tighten it by hand until snug and then another 3/4 of a turn. If yours looks the same as mine, then the installation procedure is probably the same.

CIMG1566.JPG

Lycoming bases it on the threads per inch...

...for a copper/asbestos crush washer.

8 and 10 TPI - 67 degrees
12 and 14 TPI - 90 degrees
16, 18 and 20 TPI - 135 degrees
24 and 28 TPI - 180 degrees

The degrees number is the amount of "turn" after contact, with lubricated threads. The unbroken surface of the crush washer should be against the part being tightened.

I think the temp sensor is a 18 TPI thread, but measure it... If so, 3/8 of a turn (135 degrees) might be better...:)

Printing this page and keeping it in your workshop is probably worth it...

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu166/az_gila/torques.jpg

Last edited:
Note the Lycoming manual says to lubricate the threads. What do you guys use to lubricate?

Hi Gil,

I have that document as well but noticed that recommended torque values for bolts are a lot higher than shown in in AC43 . Have you noticed that and if so could you give a possible explanation ?

Marc

I'm on the road...

Hi Gil,

I have that document as well but noticed that recommended torque values for bolts are a lot higher than shown in in AC43 . Have you noticed that and if so could you give a possible explanation ?

Marc

...and don't have the data, but I think it may be the difference between fine and the deeper coarser threads on the Lycoming bolts...