bweiss

Well Known Member
I have a Sam James cowl and I am experiencing high oil temps. The plane is an RV 7A and I have Vettermans mufflers. Not sure if that is disturbing the airflow or not. Has anyone had to add louvers to the bottom of a Sam James cowl?

Same setup.. but these days I'm fighting low oil temps (gotta work hard to hit 160 deg).. :) the only mod I did was go from 3" to 4" SCAT on my FW mounted cooler (which also prompted building a custom plenum on top of the cooler -- I did a very similar thing to what Dave Burden did on his -9).

I assume your engine is broken in? If not.. I'd say don't mess with anything just yet..

EDIT: maybe not "same" setup.. I just have Vetterman exhaust.. no mufflers that would mess with flow of air from the cooler..

Bernie,

I have not experienced those issues...which cooler are you running? I built a mini stand-off/plenum on the rear baffle with aluminum angle. The hole in the baffeling is pretty small, but it expands into this area, and I think gives more even flow over the cooler.

I actually need a block off plate.

By the way...isn't your engine fairly new?

Congrats on the completion.

Same problem

and I have the upgraded SW cooler..Mine is mounted on the baffles sort of..My buddy however has a FW mounted cooler with 3" ducting and has no issues with otherwise the same setup..:)

Mine tends to cruise at 200F and itcan get to 230F on really hot days at high altitude...Its managable though.

I certainly would NOT add louvers as your defeating the benefits of the reduced drag of the cowl.

Frank