Pilottonny

Well Known Member
Hello everybody,

Another engine question! This is the oil temperature probe that I received with the Dynon probe kit. I am already aware that it goes in the Oil-filter adapter. But,........ how do you seal this? The thread is much bigger than the base, so if I would be able to find a soft copper washer that will fit over the thread, (5/8) it wil be so loose around the base, that it may shift to one side of the probe and hardly seal properly?

How did others do this?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards, Tonny.

f_P22606971m_9425e86.jpg

Center the washer

If I remember correctly, this was discussed on VAF before.

The answer seems to center your washer, and keep it centered as you torque the nut. That's what I did... so far so good.

Same here, I used ACS 5/8" Crush Washer MS35769-11 and tried to hold it centered as best I could while tightening. It ended up not quite centered but it hasen't leaked after about 20 hrs operation so I guess I'm OK (for the time being).

Same here, I used ACS 5/8" Crush Washer MS35769-11 and tried to hold it centered as best I could while tightening. It ended up not quite centered but it hasen't leaked after about 20 hrs operation so I guess I'm OK (for the time being).

KRAZY GLUE the washer on the fitting......................:p

As KRAZY as it sounds I think that's a good idea, I'll try it if I ever have to remove / re-install the sender.

As KRAZY as it sounds I think that's a good idea, I'll try it if I ever have to remove / re-install the sender.
If you don't like the glue idea, then place an "O" ring on there to help center the copper washer...............:p

DON'T USE JUST THE "O" RING..........:eek:

There is a crush washer for this application. I didn't get one with my Dynon kit either, but my friend Jon Thocker had an extra. Find yourself a friend that has the supply of aircraft spruce and you'll be set. You don't need any 'shoe-goo' or anything else, just the crush washer, but don't over torque it.

Scott

There is a crush washer for this application. I didn't get one with my Dynon kit either, but my friend Jon Thocker had an extra. Find yourself a friend that has the supply of aircraft spruce and you'll be set. You don't need any 'shoe-goo' or anything else, just the crush washer, but don't over torque it.

Scott

now i know why he needed a crush washer:)

Ends up real easy!

Hello Guys,

I got a soft copper crush washer from our local "spam can service centre" and installed it. It ended up real easy, because the washer actually centers itself on the recess in the oilfilter adapter. No krazy glue necessary! See the picture below. I did use some Locktite thread sealant to act as a "thread locker" so the probe will not vibrate loose, because you can't torck it to much, otherwise the washer will de damaged.

f_P2280720m_5f706d8.jpg

For those that replied: thanks!

I hope this will help others also.

Regards, Tonny.

What if I don't have an oil filter adapter?

I don't have an oil filter adapter at this point. I probably will add one at some point but is there another place on an O-320 to mount the oil temp probe?

The oil screen

I don't have an oil filter adapter at this point. I probably will add one at some point but is there another place on an O-320 to mount the oil temp probe?

The oil screen housing on _most_ (not all) Lycoming 320 have two external orifices:

1 for your vernatherm valve (if so equipped)
1 for your oil temperature probe.

If you are using a westach probe (1/8" NPT thread), there are a few plugs located around the engine where you can insert the sender.

YMMV