N444JN

I recently purchased this RV-4. When I key the mic, adjust the cockpit lighting rheostat or add a high electrical load on the airplane, the Oil temp gauge increases. A mechanic on the field said I have a ground problem. Another person suggested that the alternator wire (bundled with all the other wires) could be causing it. Any ideas, help or suggestions? I originally was worried how hot the airplane is running, but now I feel that my primary problem is electrical.
Thanks...

Does stainless steel ground well?

Thanks guys,
The ground from the case (small bolt on underside) is grounded with a small screw to the stainless steel fire wall. I would guess it is approx. an 18 gauge wire. Not very thick. Is there a better way to ground the case to the airframe on an RV-4? Thanks again...
Don

Wow Don...18ga is not appropriate at all. That wire is the ground for your starter, so the general rule of thumb is to use the same gauge wire (or larger) that is connected to the starter.

edit: I'm not saying this will resolve your instrumentation issue, but I would definately swap it out.

Last edited:
A bad ground to engine situation can cause all kind of problems. Consider your discovery a parakeet in the mine shaft. As described, your current path when the stater is engaged could be sending a significant load through the throttle and mixture cables. This is not good.

Time for a good look

Get an experienced RV or preferably RV4 owner and/or builder to look this airplane over before you fly it again. What I would do.

Problem fixed....

Thanks everyone,
The problem is fixed! I called Westberg Mfg. (Westach) and they knew right away what the problem was. I needed to ground the gauge and the sender at the same spot. I did that and it is sooooooo....... steady now! Also, put a 2 gauge ground wire from the engine. Thank you all....